If you live where it's cold, do you buy mittens or gloves for young children?

I live where we usually have no more than about 2 weeks total cold weather all winter long, so this week's cold (just cold - no snow here) weather has really slowed us down. I didn't buy big coats for my preschoolers, so I just doubled their jackets and found a hat for my son since neither of his jackets has a hood. The really hard part was the hands, though admittedly I did buy the cheapest of the cheap (2 for $1) stretchy gloves for them. How on earth do you get all those tiny fingers into gloves? Do you buy them mittens until they are old enough to put gloves on themselves?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I bought mittens until they demanded gloves. They were in school before that happened.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I AM IN CANADA,, BRUTAL HERE,,,, YEP, MITSS AND COATS, AND BUNDLE UP GOOD!, MITTS FOR LITTLE ONES,,,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 1:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son has both, we tell him to spread his fingers out and we get the gloves on fine.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We have always bought gloves. It's not hard at all to get them on, you just have to show your kids how to spread their fingers and put them on correctly.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• SE Missouri here, so it's iffy. I try to buy the grandkids mittens and gloves, but they just won't keep them on. When my kids were little we used to have those little clips. I miss those!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We buy those cheapy gloves, but until they are about three I buy mittens. Before that they just can not get their fingers in the right spots. I still have to help until age 5-6, but it is much easy after three.

Now if we are going to be out playing in the snow, I make sure to put them in thinsilate gloves to keep them warm and dry.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We use gloves and I guess I just got used to it now i can get their fingers in them fast
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm in Canada, and we have several months of cold. I usually buy mittens for the younger kids because it's easier for them to get them on and off by themselves. My oldest (8 years old) prefers gloves but he is also old enough to get his fingers into the right place!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have tried to use gloves on my 3 year old. She ends up taking them off. Keep them as warm as it is possible. Properly clothed with a good winter coat and a possible head cover up is just fine. Remember, people don't get sick from cold weather, they get sick from viruses floating around.
    oOPhantasyOo

Answer by oOPhantasyOo at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My dd 21 months has both! Mittens seem to be better but she adores her gloves LOL!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011