TTC after a natural miscarriage

i just would like to hear from those who have gone through this but I had a natural miscarriage at 8 weeks along. I am having a followup appt. with my Healthcare Provider but wondering what you have been told about TTC after a natural miscarriage?
I am finding it hard to come across anything concrete about whether to go ahead and start trying right away, or wait for a cycle or two or three!
For those of you that have been here, what have you been told, what have you ended up doing and did this result in a healthy pregnancy?

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 1:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I also had a miscarriage at 8 weeks and we started trying after I stopped bleeding. It took us a year to get pregnant and then at 6 1/2 months pregnant we lost that baby too. After 3 months of losing our son, I was pregnant again and had a healthy baby boy :) Good luck, and sorry to hear about your loss.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I just had a natural and complete miscarriage 6 days ago.

I've both talked to my midwife and done TONS of research over this.

My midwife said that it's perfectly safe to TTC again right away. She said they usually recommend waiting one cycle for the period to return but that's only for dating purposes.

The research shows, overwhelmingly, that it IS safe to TTC again right away and that you have an 85-90% chance of carrying the next baby to term without any complications

There have been MULTIPLE studies done with THOUSANDS of women in each study that have shown there is really NO NEED to wait an extended period of time and certainly NOT 3 months to TTC again after a natural and complete miscarriage that occurs in the first trimester.

The FEW (and I mean VERY FEW) studies that have shown that it's a good idea to wait are either outdated or were done in countries where the healthcare is much different than ours
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Wow! YOu have been through alot as well. I am beginning to almost 'expect' a miscarriage to happen as they can't seem to find any underlying reasons as to why we are miscarrying. We have been told that with such early pregnancy losses (12 1/2 weeks and now at 8 weeks), that they both probably had chromosomal abnormalities.......We just hope to get pregnant again but DH is worried for me and like anyone, doesn't want to have to go through this a third time. (Who would?) Did you ever go ahead and have any tests done to see if there were any reasons for the losses? I am always so full of questions when things like this happen.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank you girls for your encouraging responses.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I had many tests done as well, and there were never any reasons that they could find. My son that was born sleeping at 6 1/2 months and had an autopsy as well, and they couldn't find anything wrong. Trust me, I was terrified to be pregnant again and still am to this day, even though we did have a healthy baby. Don't expect to have a miscarriage though, it will put too much stress on your baby and yourself. You can send me a message if you have any other questions :)
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• For example,

There was a study done in Europe that found that women who didn't wait a couple or cycles or more have a higher chance of having a baby with nueral tube defects BUT then as I looked at several articles on the study I found that the country that did it does not routinely recommend folic acid to all women of child bearing age nor do they have folic acid added to breads and cereals like we do here so that study doesn't really apply to us.

Other studies were outdated or based on outdated information.

Long story short most studies found it was COMPLETELY safe to TTC again ASAP after a natural, first trimester miscarriage without any complications or risk of future miscarriage.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• So sorry for your loss. Most will say to wait until you are emotionally ready and that is where the waiting period comes in.

For me I did wait a few months for emotional reasons. It took over a year once we did TTC but it also took us that long with middle DD too. Most doctors won't even do testing until you have had 3 which I don't agree with but they work on %s.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I've too been told that our loss was due to a chromosomal abnormality with the baby and while I'm TERRIFIED of getting pregnant again because I simply don't know if I could handle another loss.

That being said stastics and studies are kind of making me feel better at this point because I know that my chances of a good outcomes are high.

If I did lose the next baby I don't know if I would try again.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have lost 2 babies in 8 months and I am more determined than with the first loss to keep trying. I am only 2 weeks post miscarriage and honestly, I feel more stable and ready to start TTC again. I just wanted to hear from those with experience, what they have done and how that has worked for them before moving forward and trying again.
    I appreciate all the responses and would welcome any others and their stories too! Thank you girls!
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree with everyone here. The wait usually has to do with emotional rest. Wait until you are ready to TTC again.
    I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks, did not pass until 9+ weeks. Naturally.
    I went on to conceive very next ovulation and carried a 10 pound baby boy to term.
    Good luck momma!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011