Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I claim my child care expences on tax return if srs assistance payed it?

Answer Question

Asked by sarahlu at 1:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 14 (1,504 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I don't think so. It was their expense and they paid it. Call them and ask them to be sure.

    Answer by AdrianaS at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • no, you did not pay it so you cannot claim it.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • No.

    Answer by Marwill at 1:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • You can claim what they didn't pay. For example. If the daycare charges $125 a week and assistance paid $75 a week leaving you to pay $50, then you can claim the $50 that you had to pay out of pocket. If they paid all of it, then you can't claim it since you didn't pay anything out of pocket.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 1:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • My guess is no. But it's probably worth looking at the irs site ( just in case. Taxes are sometimes weird like that.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • Nope.

    Answer by grismelda at 3:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.