Why is it that when children of one race truns up missing you will here about it but when a child that is african american that is of the same age turns up missing and youll never hear about it unless it on tjms and not local news

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not sure what you are referring to, but a child is a child. No one wants a child to go missing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I find that statement untrue. In MN We hear about all races of children
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I know precisely what tinamarie is talking about... and it's unfortunately true. I do try to make sure that I don't indulge in that in any of my newscasts.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• In Indiana we hear about missing children regardless of race.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• There is an AMber alert issued around here for any child that is missing. I'm in SC.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 1:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Sorry, but as long as the child is actually REPORTED MISSING, then it is splashed all over the local news stations.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The last "major" story I saw on TV regarding a missing child, the child was AA. I think it depends more on the community outreach and sadly $$$.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 1:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Ì think that this does happen at time. I don`t know why the media does it. Same for missing girls getting more airtime than missing boys. I guess it`s for the same reasons that the media will go crazy reporting an attack of a black person by a white person, but attacks of white people by black people are under reported. It`s what sells, sadly.
    Anonymous

• There are plenty of AA children reported missing in the Houston area on local news (when I take time to watch). Too many kids go missing and all too often it turns out that the parents have something to do with their 'disappearance'. It's very sad.  I think as long as there is a child and law enforcement involvement it gets reported on local news. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree with Quinn..I see missing children of all colors reported by the local media..it is sad that any kids go missing.More sad is the fact that most of the time it is at the hands of a relative or friend..like Quinn pointed out.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011