If my mother pays the majority of my son's child care costs, can she still write it off on her taxes if he's my dependent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• OP all you need is the TAX form from the childcare provider. You don't need to offer proof on WHO paid. My dad paid for my college tuition, but I got the tax benefit for I claimed myself. He was cool with it though.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't think so. Ask a professional.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No, he's your dependent but I would reimburse your mother the amout she would get IF she was able to claim the childcare.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• no...to be able to write off or claim a child you have to prove that you have that child in your custody MORE than 50% of the time...that's how it works with custody cases also.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No, must be your dependent. It called dependent child care.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If I could afford to reimburse my mother she wouldn't be helping me to pay it in the first place. Can I claim it and give her the money I get back for it? What proof do you need that you paid?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2011