do you make your kids help pay for their education?

gardenchic

Asked by gardenchic at 2:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Yes I will help but not pay for all of it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I expect my children to struggle to try to pay for it. I will pay only what is absolutely necessary. My parents did this with me and it made me work so much harder for my grades.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I will help my son if he needs it, but I will not pay for all of his education. He will have to have a job, and be working to earn his way. If he doesn't want a job, he doesn't want to go to school the way I see it.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No. We started saving when he was born (literally the 1st week after his birth.. lol) for his college education. So, we have saved for nearly 20 years now, and we saved enough that his education/books/lab fees/housing are all covered. He's making good use of those funds as we speak.. lol My husband and I have always viewed it as our "duty" or part of our responsibility as parents to provide a higher education for our son.

I think each family should handle the issue of higher education in what ever manner is best or doable for them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes. We told them he would have to help after the first two years.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 2:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I we can afford to help out with tuition that's what we will do. However we won't be paying for living expenses. I never got the chance to go to school before I got married and started having kids so I know how important it is. However I will not go into debt with it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No. We will pay for their basic education (tuition, room and board, books) for undergraduate school, as long as they keep decent grades and graduate in a reasonable time frame, but they will have to have a part time/summer job to pay for their own other expenses (gas, entertainment, etc)

Answer by missanc at 4:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes, they had part time jobs to help pay for it (if they had decent grades).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• All of my three got their bachelors paid for by us, best money I have ever spent, my youngest son was the only one who got a full scholarship, and for that I got him a new used luxury car. If I didn't have the money, they would have had to do it themselves, but since I have money they didn't, and no they are in no way or shape spoiled, just successful. They all make me really proud, now all but my youngest is on their own, and it is only a matter of time and landing the right job before he goes, right now he has only been able to find a part time in his field but working his resume for a better one.

Answer by older at 7:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It was understood that we could not afford to pay for all three of their college educations and they all had part time jobs and got student loans. We helped some though. They all got their 4 year degrees and they make me proud!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011