I know declawing is inhumane...

I am having our kitten spayed next week and while under, she will get declawed also - is it still THAT terrible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pets

• as far as humane goes..... it depends on your reasoning behind the declawing in my opinion

1) your cat is destroying your expensive leather sofa, your drapes, etc and you're too lazy to train/teach it to claw on appropriate items like a cat tree then you probably should re-consider your reasoning for owning a pet cat. They sharpen their claws, it's in their DNA, they cannot help it.

2) Fluffy is a lap cat and companion for your 80 year old grandma who has frail skin that tears easily leading to infections. Every time kitty jumps from her lap it's digging it's claws into her delicate skin = not a bad reason to consider declawing.

My house cat is (front only) declawed. It was between that and re-homing him. (he was accidentally hurting our newborn) we figured the declawing and getting to stay with us was less traumatic than him ending up in a shelter.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• if you have to do it, it's the best way. she'll be under actual anesthesia and will recover from both surgeries simultaneously
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i did a post about this aWHILE AGO, THEY SHREDDED ME TO BITS, MINE IS DECLAWED AND SPAYED.. NOTHING WroNG WITH IT, IF IT IS GOING TO BE A INDOOR CAT.
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 2:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Good for you for getting her spayed, but why do you have to get her declawed?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Those of you who voted me down ... let's go have YOUR nails ripped out! How would you like that???
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• imagine, waking up to searing, horrible pain. someone has taken claw clippers and cut off your fingers and did it by crushing and cutting the last bone on your finger. it is not just like pulling off a nail, they crush part of the bone. there is a chance of a splinter of bone remaining and cutting the inside of your flesh everytime you step. there is a chance of permant nerve damage.

how would you feel????
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 2:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have always grown up with cats and all but one had their front claws removed. They all lived amazing, spoiled rotten lives and never once acted like the lack of claws bothered them. My mom was and still is the best cat owner i've ever met and any cat would be lucky to live in her home. Though I understand why people have such a complex about how inhumane it is, I really think the cat is glad to have a warm safe home inside than no home at all.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I've worked in several pet hospitals and assisted in the procedure. Considering they are under anesthesia and are provided pain medication to help with the discomfort while they heal it is just fine. Those that are against it get very emotional about it, but IMO, since their pain is addressed, there is no issue. For indoor cats, the nails are not needed and can cause a disruption in your relationship if the cat is destructive. Rear claws are rarely removed and an indoor cat that escapes to the outside can still climb trees and defend themselves if necessary. Don't let people make you feel guilty about it.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 6:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I had a problem with my cat tearing up my carpet and scratching my daughter... I bought something called soft paws, which are plastic claw covers and it solved the problem and was totally painless for the cat. Personally, I think that is a much better alternative since declawing is like having all of your fingers amputated at the first knuckle. As much as I'd rather see people have their cat declawed rather than throw it outside, or put it to sleep, honestly is still pretty mean :( sorry.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Well, the reason it's bad, is that if she ever gets out she will have no way to defend herself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011