Diarrhea and immediate diaper rash in almost 3yr old

We have been having issues with my almost three year old DD. She has always been sensitive to milk so she is on lactaid. We only give our children one cup (sippy cup) of juice a day. They get no soda (except very few occasions). She though often, not every day, but several times a week gets diarrhea. The diarrhea can occur several times in a day, it is muccousy, but not bloody. It will also cause her butt to blister immediately. I have had her to Dr. and that is when we switched milk, but she is still having this issue. Any one have thoughts as to figure out what is wrong. She as far as I know has only a milk sensitivity, and not other allergies. She does have a younger sister that has several food allergies. I don't see to be getting answers from peds.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Do you think it could be from the juice?
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Could be from the juice or she could have bacteria in her intestines.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My 2 year old can't drink apple juice at all or he immediately gets diarrhea. He doesn't have apple juice and he's been great...We give him and kind of other juice.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Could she be allergic to ALL dairy? Some children that have trouble with milk are allergic to any dairy as well. Keep track of what you feed her and when the diarrhea occurs. The journal can help your pedi diagnose whether it's that or something else.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• She did have to be on soy formula as infant after breastfeeding 6wks. She had projectile vomiting to regular formula. No hives ever or projectile vomiting to dairy. She may be senstivie to juice, just didn't think it could be from one cup of juice and see she gets juice every day and diarrhea is not every day.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would try to dillute the juice to half water, half juice. See if that curbs the diarrhea. My DD had to have soy milk until she was almost 2. She can drink organic 2% milk now, but regular milk breaks her out in hives. Neither I, nor my Pediatrician can figure that one out! But my Ped. did say that Lactaid milk doesn't help with milk allergies b/c its a misconception that the lactose is causing the reaction. He claimed that some folks simply don't produce a certain enzyme essential to break down the milk proteins. Has anything else changed in her diet?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Hummm... nothing else has changed in diet, Maybe I should try soy milk or just the rice milk my youngest is on. She is still on yogurt (not often and still enjoys cheese (not everyday) We have been attempting potty training and she claims to not poop in potty because there is a pain in her butt. Not sure if any correlation.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Ask your Dr. about IBS. I hope you can get to the bottom of this momma! I'm sure its frustrating for you and DD :-(
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs_68179.bc
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Could she have a gluten (wheat) as well as casein (milk) allergy? The easiest way to check it out is eliminate it from her diet for a few weeks. If no problems, reintroduce it and see if the diarrhea comes back. There are so many new products out there that make this diet easier, not like it used to be where you had to buy everything online at twice the expense. Good luck, and hope she feels better soon!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011