bread makers

if you have a bread maker that you use regularly, do you find that it saves you money or do you end up spending more for the ingredients than you would have on buying a loaf of bread?

ive always wanted my own. my mom used to have one when i was little and i loved eating the fresh bread! id like to get one myself - but not sure if ill be spending more that way. plus im on wic and get free bread anyway - but id like to switch up the choices of bread.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You should buy the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It is so easy and the bread is delicious. No need to buy an expensive machine for tasty homemade bread. The also have a healthy version too.

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Bread-Five-Minutes-Day/dp/0312545525

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I WANT ONE!!!, I MET A ONLINE FRIEND IN PERSON, SHE BROUGHT ME HER HOME MADE BREAD, SO YUMMY!,, I AM AFRAID I MAY GET FAT THO, HA
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 2:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I just got one.....but based on the cost of the ingredients and the amount used to make a 2 pound loaf it costs me about 45 cents to make 1 loaf. Plus I don't have to worry about what's in it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You can get instructions and recipes from the above mentioned book free at the website for the magazine Mother Earth News: www.motherearthnews.com

I personally just find it not only easier but more successful (based on my track record) to let a machine to all the work, lol!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• When I had a bread maker I found that I didn't use it that much because it took up a lot of counterspace or i you wanted to make a double batch thats a lot of time compared to just doing it yourself and baking them. If you have a stand mixer or bigger food processer you can make bread with those just as easy.

I still buy store bread for kids sandwiches so they are nice and uniform. But cost wise its not expensive at all to make your own bread plus you can make up your own bread that you would pay lots more for at the store.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2011