A middle school SCIENCE teacher is fired for......

Burning the image of the cross in students arms,  preaching creationism, keeping a Bible on his desk and admonishing homosexuality.   (I bet homosexual atheists got great grades in his class!)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/11/national/main7234862.shtml

Do you think he should have been fired?   Is this what YOU want from your child's science teacher?

SuperChicken

Asked by SuperChicken at 2:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• He should be fired, charged with assault, and never allowed to work with children again. School is a place where all children should be treated with respect, kindness, and educated to the truth of the subject, not personal beliefs or religious doctrine, unless it's religious class lol.

This man cannot seperate his personal beliefs from his professional life, and that is not acceptable.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• read the article. shocked actuallly. YES, he should be fired AND have charges of assult brought on him. He said he was doing a "science experiement" when he branded (burned the image of a cross) on children's (they're still under 18) arms...WTF? If anyone did that to my child, aside wanting to beat them senseless (although senseless he's got already), they would be in jail.

i'm heterosexual. agnostic. however, i beleive in gay rights and respect for different faiths. BUT, a SCIENCE teacher has no right teaching creationism (philosophies teacher, religion teacher yes), has no right expressing his personal views on sexuality as it pertains to homo/heter, and absolutely no right to lay his hands on a student in that manner.

Basically, this guy is a nut job who does not need to be influencing, or even be around minors.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Forget what's he's teaching or preaching - HE BRANDED CHILDREN

I don't care if it was the cross; a heart; a smiley face; or an I LOVE Momma sign - you do NOT BRAND children! Especially children who are not your own!!

Fired? He'd better be in jail for child abuse and endangerment! WTH is wrong with people??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• He should be examined by a psychiatrist. But he should also be fired and serve a few years in jail. He is not playng with a full deck and he is a sadist if he thinks burning a cross in students' arms is religious. Sicko!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes. He should have been fired. He should probably be charged with assault. I would not allow this person to teach anything to my kids - not anything, from science to how to tie their shoes.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes he should be fired. He's allowed to believe how he wants, but for one the burning incident is just way over the line. Let him experiment on his own skin if he's demonstrating. One slip and a kid is scarred for life. And regarding the religion, it dosen't belong in science class. Telling them homosexuals are sinners? I could see maybe a high school class getting into a discussion or debate about such topics but a middle school teacher, teaching this? No. And i'm a christian. I send my kids to school to learn. I take them to church to learn about God.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• How dispicable. His ass should be thrown in jail for harming an innocent child...and that includes mental abuse.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Fired? I'm going with jailed...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Of course he should have been fired. It's not his place to preach RELIGION in a school and it's certainly assault to burn students.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If my kids where in his class I would call the cops and give them fair warning to get there before I did or they would have a lot more paper work to do.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011