all my son does is cry! :(

hes 14 months and he cries and cries alll day the only time he doesnt cry is if im holding him standing up ... its starting to get frustrating hes gotten all his shot and he doesnt have a fever or cold or flu symptoms .. i dont know what to do hes always been a crier but its just bad .. is he spoiled or what ? cuz im not sure what to do ? i set him in his room to cry it out just now .. maybe he misses his dad? his dad is gone until the end of this month ... idk, what do i do?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is probably what it is. Just love him and be patient.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm sorry Mommy.. I had a full blown cryer too... I know its hard.. I wish I had some words of wisdom to share with you but the only thing that worked with my son was a touch of tough love.. I think at 18 months I had HAD it, he got put in his room, he was told that he could come out when he was done with his fit.. although he was probably still too young to get what I was saying, it was the only thing I could do not to lose it TOTALLY... he has been hard since birth so I get the over whelming frustration.. HUGS>!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It sounds like he just wants YOU to HOLD him. Let him be, he will get the idea that you cannot hold him all of the time. Give him something to divert his attention to like a age appropriate toys, stuffed animals, sing to him, etc. Keep him busy. As along as he is feeling well, eating, clean, let him just cry. He will stop (when he gets the message that crying DOES NOT MAKE YOU HOLD HIM).

One of my twins was kind of like that but got the message when he was about a year old.

He will SURVIVE, it takes patience, but it will get better. Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Is he getting any new teeth? One of the little guys I nanny is 17 months and he's doing the same thing. He's getting his incisors in, so we're not sure if he's simply upset about that, or if it's a behavioral issue. He cries and cries, but when you give him undivided attention, he's all smiles. We're waiting until the teeth are in before we decide whether or not the kiddo is attention-seeking or not. Good for you OP for taking a break. It's better to step away than to lose your sanity! :-) He's probably just testing you.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My twins girls go through times where they want to be held all the time. I stop what I am doing and hold them (sometimes both) til they are okay. Sometimes this means a few days of a ton of affection. Then they seem to "get over it" and play on their own more. I think giving love and affection at a young age is one of the best things a parent can give. They just want to feel secure. Once they feel secure, they'll go off on their own. Be patient. Someday you'll have a 14 year old that won't want to be anywhere near you and believe it or not you will miss these days.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011