Gall bladder removal

If you have had your removed how was the recovery time? Im so so so nervous I get mine out Friday. How bad did it heal scar wise?

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Health

• I had complications so my recovery time was over 6 weeks.
    But my sister had no complications and recovered in days.

Good luck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• the immediate recovery was hell. all the gas from surgery was uncomfortable, the pain was bad. yes, i did take the meds the first couple days to alleviate pain.
    the scars (i've got four) are purple and flat, now. the surgery was in late-june. my stomack-area was sensitive to the touch for about 2-3 months, around the incisions.
    it took about 4-5 months to become 'normal', digestion-wise. i had diarrhea about 2-3x/wk..sometimes not so bad, sometimes worse, but always quick! (never trust a fart again!)
    you'll need to pay more attention to what you consume. lots of fiber, less fats, dairy. i started taking a fiber-supplement just last month, to keep me in balance.
    good luck!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The first day was the worst for me. They wouldn't give me any painkillers after I got done with the surgery. Not sure why. I decided to show them I could walk and once the nurse watched me do that they released me and we went to the pharmacy for my pain meds. I took some and went to sleep. My back was also hurting, I had laproscopy, and found that lying flat on my back with a heating pad under me helped so much. The second day I felt about 80 to 90% better. I was a little sore around my incisions but really the first day was the worst part for me. As long as I took it easy everything was fine. Within about 5 days or so I was mostly back to normal.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It can really vary, but mine wasn't too long. I was up and at 'em within a couple days, and my scars stopped hurting after about a week or so. Be careful lifting things/kids, though. I still had some discomfort with that for a couple weeks after.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 2:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• *stomach...excuse the typos! lol!*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I had problems after mine and it took me about 8 weeks to recover, but I have a couple friends who had theirs out also and they were ok and back up getting back to normal within a few weeks.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i was able to walk around the same day it just was hard getting up the first two day from a sitting position i felt like since mine got taken alot if other problems are present was pretty healty but now i have unexplained symptoms
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I was in pain for the rest of the day and i slept. after that i was up and around. i couldn't carry my son for a week in a half though and he weighed 30 lbs. at the time. now that i remember i was walking around after my surgery too. i couldn't eat much either.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 3:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have a friend who is in the hospital right now with a severe infection following the removal of hers. And she has already had to have a second surgery last Friday to remove some of the infection. She is going to have to come home with some kind of a pump to keep it cleaned out. I guess a lot depends on your doctor, you, and probably numerous other factors. Either way, it is major surgery, so I wish you the best. There are also some cleanses available that one can sometimes use to avoid the surgery. You might want to postpone and try one of those.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Scar is very small...pain very big! When I had it i stayed in the hospital for a week on pain meeds. Now I think they send you home the same day! After week one I felt a lot better by 4 weeks I was completely well. The gas pain is bad, it goes up to your shoulders. When that goes away you will feel more comfortable. But the surgery is worth it.. No more gall bladder attacks! Stay away from greasy foods!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2011