I just made an appointment with my GYN for a consultation.. what can i expect?

I just called my GYN and explained we have been trying to have another baby with no success. They set me up for a consultation with my OBGYN and said they will do blood work and send hubby for sperm samples. They also mentioned checking to make sure i don't have a blockage in my tubes. I'm really nervous! What if i do have a blockage? I don't know what to expect can anyone please share their experience with me so I know whats coming! Thanks everyone! :(

NicholeMWalls

Asked by NicholeMWalls at 2:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• You should REALLY get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and learn to chart.

If you have to see an RE most want AT LEAST 3 cycles worth of charts to look at before they'll start treatment.

Charting is especially helpful to women with irregular cycles. I myself have irregular cycles and have always been to pinpoint and confirm ovulation as well as get pregnant on the first try with charting.

Check out http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ for free charting tools and info.

Anonymous

• Mostly likely they will start out simple and basically go from the cheapest test to the more expensive test.

They will start out with blood work and semen analysis. The tube blockage test usually is done with die and an ultra sound.

If you have a blockage they will tell you what your options are.

Try to remain calm. Often times fertility issues are easily fixed. I know your wouldn't think that because you always here about the IVF and everything but many cases are fairly simple.

Are you charting? Do you know if you are ovulating or not?
    Anonymous

• I have an irregular period but I still always mark down when I get it ... I do not know when I ovulate because my period is so messed up I have been 2 a dr a few years back and everything was normal I just don't get my period every month. I did buy ovulation predictors and it says I do ovulate just not every month. I hope nothing is wrong. O and we do have a 2 yo dd and we had no trouble having her she was a surprise lol
    NicholeMWalls

Comment by NicholeMWalls (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Good Luck. Some women do experience secondary infertility which might be what you are going through.
    Hopefully it's no big deal and you will soon be preggo!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011