Why Do So Many Kids Wear Braces?

My Gr-DD got them and wow are they expensive, but my DD felt she had no choice, I was curious. I think it's because our mouths aren't big enough,what do you think? Same goes for molars, most of us get them pulled again why, bec. our mouths aren't big enough?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Health

• most of the kids that get them DON'T NEED THEM. the fact is not many ppl's teeth will come in perfectly straight. an orthodontist will point out once crooked tooth and say you need braces for a few years because THAT'S HOW THEY MAKE MONEY. i had braces on for 3 months in middle school. 3 MONTHS!!!! my teeth looked no different after, they hurt like hell, and my ortho got a pretty pay check because he convinced my mother i needed them. they make their money by forcing mothers to worry and since we are pretective of our kids we give. in. some to desperately need them. but most don't
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My youngest might have to get them if his permanent teeth come in like they think they're going to. He was a thumb sucker, and it caused him to have quite an overbite. Some folks do it for reasons of vanity, but I just want to make sure he can close his lips together without effort. Not looking forward to the expense, and I'm hoping it turns out we won't need to get him braces.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 3:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't know why so many kids do. I had them, so did my husband. We've already been told our seven year old will need them when he's around eight or nine. Eeks! I hope they're not new car expensive, right???
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I HAD THEM, I THINK MY YOUNGEST IS GOING TO NEED THEM, AND YES, THEY ARE PRICEY.
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 2:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think because Hollywood has made everybody to think they must be perfect. and the Dr. sure won't tun money down. They want to put my daughter in Braces for the same price for 1 1/2 years as they do 4 year patients. Yes, I have checked around. So far, nothing I can afford.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Because our country is stuck in a body image crisis. Some people need braces for medical reasons, but most get them for cosmetic reasons. White perfect teeth are a symbol of success in this country.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I didn't have them. My husband did but he told the dentist to take them off as soon as he turned 18. He was tired of them.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I didn't have them but my sons father did and we have been told that our son will need them.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011