Does anyone make their own salad dressing?

I have fat free italian, but in only 2 T there is 480mg of sodium. I was wondering if anyone makes their own low cal/low fat/low sodium version? Probably something based with lemon or lime. Right now, I'm eating a dry salad and honestly, it's not that bad, but a little dressing would be nice. Thanks.

Asked by BridgetC140 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• yuck :( i hate dressing. i hate condiments period. mayo, dressing, mustard...all of them. i like my salads plain or topped with shredded cheddar cheese

Answer by momofone725 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We use (all to taste)
    olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard and honey OR Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, jam.

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I sometimes make my own, using olive oil, red wine vinegar, just a little bit of sugar(you could also use Splenda), and something called McCormick's salad seasoning. It makes a very good dressing and there's no added sodium.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• That was very helpful momofone. Cheese contains lots of sodium and fat......but I'll sleep better tonight knowing that you hate dressing.

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I do, I use a squirt of garlic paste, , about 1/4 cup of honey all spices and a table spoon of red wine vinegar and olive oil, it is easy and very very good.

Answer by older at 3:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Nanny, can I have the proportions of the ingredients, please? I have almost all of those things on hand and I generally love vinaigrettes. I don't have the McCormick, but I'm sure that I could substitute something. I'm assuming you don't use much olive oil for the fat content, right?

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have fresh garlic and a mortar and I suppose I could make my own paste. I'll make hubby the guinea pig Thanks, these sound like what I"m looking for. What serving size do you use older? Like 1 or 2 T?

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I like to make good seasons from the pkg. I have no idea how much salt it has in it. The pkg of good seasons says to use oil and vinegar. I think it is much better if you use olive oil and lemon juice (from bottle) instead of the vinegar. It is finger licking good!

Answer by ria7 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• you can make a healthier one at home.

Answer by chefjen at 3:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I know Chefjen....that's the purpose of this question. Do you have recipe that you would like to share, since that is exactly what my question is asking?

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2011