Has it ever occured to you what would happen to YOUR internet works if there's ever a tragedy?

This is really effing scary.

So this whole AZ shooter guy posted some weird stuff all over the internet. You see snatches of it reproduced here and there, and the effect is....nightmarish.

And Yes, he's crazy.

But can you imagine how ANY of our quotes lifted look? I quote a particular poster all the time who's a little off. Without proper context, the entire forum board, it's going to look like I'M the not job.

What could a prosecutor/judge/media person do with quotes of yours taken out of context? Or even in context? Do you care? Is your internet persona someone you would like your family to meet? The one you want the world to remember when you die?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My internet "persona" is the same as my real life one. I don't say anything on the internet that I wouldn't say directly to someone.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't say anything on the internet that I wouldn't say directly to someone.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon a minute ago
    Credits: 7997 Level 19
    Votes up:0 Votes down:

I don't either. But I have a hard time believing that everyone on here follows the same rules.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• lovinangels, I haven't seen all of your posts, but the ones I have don't seem nutty.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I consider everything i post here public information.

Besides, the quotes are taken out of context by the media so they can sensationalize this as much as possible. In court the context would be included.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• lovinangels, I know what you mean. Snippets here and there taken out of context, taken out of quotes from someone else that we've quoted, taken from times we've been sarcastic on the 'net, whatever -- someone with an intent to make someone look like a bad person or a nut case could do it. And how easily do most people believe what the media tell them is true? It really is scary.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yeah pretty much I try to not say "I hate you"
    "I want to kill you"...
    In all honesty when my husband is doing somthing that is driving me nuts I don't say I want to kill him any more.
    I just say man it makes me crazy when he does .... Truth be told it is that I take people literally. So if I am
    judged by my own way of thinking I need to clean it up a bit. (I did clean it up) I would have hated something I said
    be taken in a fashion in which it was not intended.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I speak here as I would to any of my friends and I do not put anything on here that I would not want known about me.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Interesting. I don't "quote" too often but you have given me something to think about. I really don't believe I am any different on here than I am in person but other people's perception may say otherwise. If the world remembers me they'll see my Facebook profile before they see this one. On FB I am more family and music oriented then all about political or current events.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Well, you need to also consider that character witnesses are admissible in court. They would have to have much more on someone then what they say online. Much more then a few slightly 'nutty' quotes. Especially when a halfway decent attorney can prove that the quote was quoted from someone else to make a point.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011