suggestions for a second car seat in the back seat of a mid-size sedan?

I have a Graco My Ride 65 for Jake, my 15-month old, and it's pretty bulky. Maybe all car seats are this size? I will be having another baby in May (they'll be 19 months apart). I am looking at getting a second car seat--one that Jake will grow into. I know when I asked the last time, Graco My Ride 65 was the most popular suggestion. I have a mid-size sedan, and I'm looking to buy a 3-in-1 car seat now. The My Ride will eventually go to the new baby when he/she grows into it, and I'll have a second for Jake (the 3-in-1). Could anyone give me suggestions--especially those who have two care seats in your backseat. I am also hoping that I'll get this car seat in time to take with us on our trip to California (another reason why I'd like it to be less bulky). Thanks!

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have 2 Radian 65's. They are compact in size but weigh about 28 lbs each. They are comfortable and you can get 3 across in a compact car. Do a little research on some of these. I found that the Radian's exceed both American and European standards and hold up to impacts much better, the downside is that they are costly. When it comes to our DD's safety we will spend what we need to.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Safty first makes some good seats that will harness a child up to 60lbs then turns to a booster that holds them to 100lbs. Its not nearly as bulky there are a few different ones so just type in safety first convertible carseats and im sure you will find a few. Also Evenflow makes one to that goes from 20lbs to 100lbs. it harness up to 50lbs then booster seat till 100lbs.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We have a Britax and love it. We currently have a three door Saturn, so it's not a big car by any means, but the Britax fits perfectly in it. Forward facing and rear facing. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• @ Coala - Agreed. Our Britax cost us 400.00 bucks.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2011