• In the Spotlight:

i need help with pottie traning

my daughter is 15 months old and i need some tips on pottie traning her

Mrs.White602

Asked by Mrs.White602 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i did a reward chart for my boys which worked out pretty well, and i let them pick out the big boy underware and told them when they can stay dry for 3 weeks they can wear those. and dont rush it, she will let you know when she is ready....
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 2:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• give her alot of juice and ask if she needs to go to the bathroom every 30 mins. and when she does make a big deal out of give her a cookie or sticker anything you would like as a reward. I have a trianing guide if you want i potty trained my son in 4 days. and he doesnt even wet the bed now.3yrs old! just pm me if you want it.I got it from another mother on cafemom it works!
    tripper1305

Answer by tripper1305 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• She's too young for a reward chart or to understand the concept of "big girl panties". I assume she has shown enough of the readiness signs for you to be starting her this young.
    If not, consider waiting until she is ready. Most girls are ready sometime between 24 and 30 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If you are determined to get her out of diapers by some certain age or deadline, you will have to do the work. This is more "mommy training" than it is "potty training." Take her to the potty every half hour. Hold her on the potty for a minute or two. The more she fights sitting there, the more she will resist the whole process and the longer it will take so think carefully before forcing her to sit on the potty. Eventually, she will pee in the potty. Make a big deal out of it when she does. Empty her dirty diapers into the potty to show her where poop belongs. Do not go shopping or go anywhere else for long periods until she "gets it" for at least the pee. That can take several months. You will need to work her clothes and keep her on a "time to potty" schedule until she is probably 2 or older and is able to start actual potty training to learn to go when she needs to and to work her clothes on her own.
    kaycee14

• And keep this saying in mind...
    You can potty train a child in just one day... IF you pick the right day.

In other words, if your child is ready to learn, in a cooperative mood, able to understand complex verbal instructions, able to remember a series of steps, able to hold her pee and poop, then you have a good chance of training her in a few days. If not, it will take months and months. Parents who have good luck in a short period of time picked the right day - usually by chance.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Get a copy of "Once upon a Potty".. Funniest book I have ever seen. I bought it for my girls and my granddaughters.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Take her to the potty often...about every 30 mintues. Praise her when she goes, don't say anything when she doesn't. Put her on the potty before meals, after meals, before snacks, after snacks, before you go anywhere, as soon as you get home, before naps, as soon as she wakes up....etc. Always put her on the potty while you're filling up the bathtub.

Either she'll "get" it or she won't. Consistency is key.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008