How do you feel about borrowing money?

Do you borrow money like it's no big deal? Or are you wary who you borrow money from and for how long? Do you set up the payment arrangements; stringent or lax?

I am about to borrow a large (to me) sum of money from my boyfriend of 2 months with no set time frame of how long I am borrowing it for. I'm scared out of my mind to do it, because I hate to borrow money, and I always have a set time frame of how long I'm borrowing it for. It's necessary to fix my truck, which I need to manage life in general, but I just feel sick over it.

How do you feel? Any advice to make me feel less freaked out over borrowing money from him?

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 3:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• i hate borrowing money. Whenever I vent to my mom about a late bill or something she jumps to the recue and offers to help or tells me to call my dad. I always tell her I dont see them as banks.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I hate borrowing money too. Thankfully I haven't had to do this for a long time. I don't mind borrowing to others, though and I would never borrow to somebody I didn't trust. He must trust you very much so I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't break his trust and pay him back as soon as you can i.e. If you have 10 bucks throw it his way.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It usualy ruins friendships they say you never loan out what you cant afford to give.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The borrower is a slave to the lender.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Ive never borrowed more than $200 from my mom. Her and I lend eachother money all the time and pay back next pay period. But I wouldnt borrow from anyone else
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm afraid I wouldn't borrow any amount from anyone period without having a binding agreement in writing. And I probably wouldn't borrow any amount from a boyfriend. LOL haven't you seen The People's Court --- it just dawned on me recently that more than half the cases are boyfriend/girlfriend or family.... I just wouldn't do it unless there was absolutely, 100% no way to do what ever I needed to do without borrowing from him..... and then I'd be doing some serious soul searching to make sure that whatever I WAS borrowing the money for was something that I absolutely had to have and couldn't find any other possible way around it. (Like I'd rather limp along in a POS car than to borrow from a boyfriend to get a new one)
    (So, see, you're not the only one that this concept scares the crap out of)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 3:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm the same way as you. I don't like it one bit, so if I'm going to do it, I want it spelled out very clearly so there is no problem down the road.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• NOPE,,, I HAVE NOT YET, AND HOPE NEVER TO DO IT,,, THAT WOULD HAUNT ME..
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 3:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I personally have never borrowed money (other than from a bank or mortgage company where the conditions and terms of repayment are detailed explicitly) because I don't like being indebted to anyone. I think that when it happens on a personal level, it has the potential for disaster.
    Anonymous

• I hate it. So when we HAVE to, we set up an allotment to pay it back so it comes automatically out of my husbands check and we dont even see the money. We try to pay a little extra too to get it done with.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2011