DO YOU THINK MY CAT IS JEALOUS?

WHEN I AM ON THE COMPUTER HE JUMPS UP AND BITES MY FINGERS..

gardenchic

Asked by gardenchic at 3:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pets

• Cats lack the pre-frontal cortex completely. That means they have absolutely no ability to understand anything beyond the concrete operations stage: anything abstract (like 'I'm not getting my share') or anything to do with anyone else's experience that they're not experiencing (I want the attention she's directing somewhere else) is quite beyond them. So is genuine compassion. [linda]

You really should come meet my cats. They defy what "experts" say about cats. 

Do you have cats? If you do, are they part of the family or just animals? 

OP ... yes, your kitty is jealous. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You probably pet him when he has done that, and he thinks that's how that whole little setup works. He thinks a keyboard is a kitty-petting station! No, I don't think it's jealousy.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• LOL

I have one that tries to find her way into your lap whether you want her there or not, and it doesn't matter what you're doing.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Cats lack the pre-frontal cortex completely. That means they have absolutely no ability to understand anything beyond the concrete operations stage: anything abstract (like 'I'm not getting my share') or anything to do with anyone else's experience that they're not experiencing (I want the attention she's directing somewhere else) is quite beyond them. So is genuine compassion.

Your cat is certainly communicating: either 'I've learned that doing this gets me a gentle pat' or 'I'm hungry get over here with the can opener' is about as complex as it gets.

Alternately, the cat is responding to its instincts: movements and scale similar to prey... the same way they attack fluff, paper, leaves and moving toes.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• lol.. mine goes right in front of the monitor and meows at me loL~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011