oh no! Not My Kid!

Years ago,when I was young and stupid, before I had kids I would hear the stories. " I just took my eyes off of little johnny for a second and he fell off the kitchen table! I don't know how he did it! And dumb me would think, what kind of parent lets their kid do that? what were they thinking, poor little Johnny!

Or, maybe little Sue drew all over her bedroom wall in red marker or got in the refrigerator and smashed eggs in the carpet or poured paint all over the cat or managed to get on top of the refrigerator and knock everything off or feed the DVD player a slice of pizza. oh ya that's really funny, I bet your making that up...or what a bad parent! Where are you when your kid does that? Sleeping? (Reality may be Sue did this while mom was passed out on the bathroom floor from sheer exhaustion from 2 months of non-sleep at 2 am in the morning! Sue just woke from her 1 hr nap!.. Oh! The Joy!)

I have a Sue and a Johnny. In fact I have 5 and I'm no longer laughing or shaking a finger. (ok, maybe I laughed a little when "sue" drew a mustache with a purple maker on a sleeping "johnny)

Dang it. I want to be stupid again!
LOL

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Everyone makes mistakes in parenting or has a moment where something happens that shouldn't have, I don't care who you are or how many times you post "I wouldn't have taken my eye off my kid for a second." I remember being young, childless and having foot-in-the-mouth syndrome a few times with friends who were parents. Oh, should have kept my mouth shut! Stuff happens, even to the best or well-intentioned. It's funny how time changes things, isn't it?
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• HAHA I know a couple that are pregnant and spoke badly about her relatives child saying a curse word. She vowed her child would NEVER say such things...yet her husband cusses like a sailor XD I can't wait.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I wasn't paying attention one day and some pf my LO's puzzle pieces went missing. I tore my house apart for a week looking for them. I found them when I put in a VHS tape so that I could work out. Not 1 but 3 pieces in my VCR (yes we are a house with one of those still). Today I went to lay down for a bit and my LO fell off the couch face first (on Daddy's watch) onto the hardwood floor and busted her lip. No not my kid. She would never do those things. LOL You take your eyes off them for just a second and your asking for trouble.

I hope you can get some rest soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yeah, I was dumb too like that before I had kids. Thought I knew everything...now I've realized that those that think they know everything are the ones who know the least. You can't possibly understand what it's like to raise a child until you do. Guess having stuck my foot in my mouth beforehand keeps me humble and maybe not so quick to judge those without children that might be judging me!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 3:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes, Never judge tell you are in their shoes.

Answer by louise2 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my goodness OP I can so relate. Especially while out somewhere and I saw a kid running off or throwing a fit on the floor over a cookie they couldnt have. I'd think to myself "what an annoying child, what kind of parent are you?" then I had a child of my own and I apologized to all those parents as well as to my own. I understand. It's not that easy. And I dont even give a glance to those kids and parents I face today while out. Maybe a look of empathy. My ds is almost 3 and WOW the terrible two's goes waaaaaaay beyond the tantrums. He is feeling braver and runs off sometimes, he doesnt listen and knocks over my plant pots to use the soil as a scenery for his trains, he helps himself to the fridge if I dont get there fast enough....he is driving me insane. But when I go to work at nighttime and SO watches him, it's like a mini vacation for me. I can focus on something else for 5 hours. I come home feeling refreshed
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughterI always said, "my kids will NEVER act like that." Oh boy was I wrong!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I used to say my kids would never act like some of the kids I work with. Then my daughter turned 3.
    mrssmitley1210

Answer by mrssmitley1210 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Don't forget the ever popular over-flowed toilet because GI Joe had to save the people down the hole OR the Ninja Turtles wanted to go home!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I forgot to add ... my sister was constantly giving child rearing advice ... no kids of her own. Then she started dealing with her SO's daughter! Funny, her advice to me just wasn't working with the girl. I lol'ed many times and DID NOT resist saying TOLD YOU SO!!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011