What's the largest amount of debt you've ever been in and been able to pay off without claiming bankruptcy, or anything like that?

Not including a Mortgage. Feel free to answer anonymously!

My dh and I are coming out of about $30,000 in debt that we are not proud of, but needed to survive at the time. And feels goooooooood!

No bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• 46k not including the house, I am now debt free (again, not including mortgage, that is next)
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We had $34k worth of debt (not including the mortgage). Then we got on a plan to become debt free, cut up our credit cards and went on a cash only budget.. Now we are debt free and working on paying off the mortgage.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• $100,000
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Several years ago, we had four mortgages on the house and $15,000 in credit card debt that was all caused by medical bills. We had insurance, but the coverage was terrible and we had three medical disasters, including a week long ICU stay for my husband. We ended up selling the house and moving across the country, paying off all of our debt and starting fresh.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Almost 30k in student loans.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 4:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We tapped into our HELOC for $100,000 to do some home improvement; this was after we already paid off our mortgage and we paid off the $100,000 within one year.
    Anonymous

• 8K and I thought that was awful! But that was all racked up by my ex. I don't use credit cards and never have.

Answer by missanc at 4:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• $20,000. Most of that was in student loans. We're about six weeks away from paying it all off. I know that may not sound like a lot, but once we decided to pay that off we had to start paying cash for school. Which has been quite pricey actually.

Anyway I'm super proud of us =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• So how did yall do it?
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• @ mommyg24 both dh and I picked up part time jobs and used all of the income plus our regular jobs for debt, and we used any extra money we got such as Christmas, birthday, taxes, ect to put toward debt. We sacrificed buying anything we didn't need, and tried to cut down on spending on our regular bills like cheaper food, clothes, not running the heat and air conditioning on full blast. Basically we utilized every penny. I'm not going to say it has been easy, and sometimes it down right sucked.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011