what are YOUR state laws regarding the age children can sit in the front seat?

i called around the other day and tried to find the answer to this question and NOBODY knew. i started with the sheriff's department and was transferred from person to person. somebody finally said they "think" it's 11 or 12 years old. i find that to be highly innacurate, but whatever i wasnt going to argue. my oldest is only 4 so we have a long time to go. but i didn't think it was that freakin long - i have a small backseat and all 3 of mine are in carseats. i was trying to find out if by school age, my oldest can sit in her booster in the front seat. her school is not even a mile from my house, but there's no way im letting her walk to school at 5 years old. the lady suggested i google it, since not even the police themselves know the answer. i live in Florida btw. what's your state laws regarding this??

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Travel

• Here's your answer:

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/341/What-is-the-law-about-children-in-front-seat

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Our state law is 12. I think that is what most of them are is between 11-13 because the air bags can kill children.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Under the new law children under age six are required to be in
    a child safety seat or booster seat appropriate for their height and weight and used according to the manufacturers' instructions. The new law also requires children under six to ride in the rear seat.
    BUT
    Children under 13 should not be placed in the front seat of a vehicle equipped with an active air bag.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It's 13 in Indiana
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• WI- 13 AND 5 feet tall

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think its somewhere around twelve....but I'm pretty sure it doesnt go by age anymore it's but height and weight because of the airbags.... I joke with my step mother because shes 4'9'' and legally shouldnt be in the front seat :) But I'm not exactly sure what the law says....I know here in jersey to get them out of booster seats it's 9yo or 90 pounds.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm in Connecticut, and I think it's 12 here too. I know when I was a kid I was sitting in the front way before that, and my parents did not make me wear a seat belt either. But I'm happy that people try so much harder to keep our kids safe now days.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It is 12 years and 100 pounds in the stat of fl. In no way is it safe to put the booster in the front seat.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• were in WI and I think it is by height and weight not age. I think I heard around 4ft 8in and 65lbs.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Our law (Michigan) says that you can have a child (even in a carseat) in the front seat if the airbag is turned off. ONLY if there aren't any other available back seats. Like if you have a 3 seater pick up truck for example. Out of carseats the age is eight years old I believe if you have the airbag turned off. 4'9 and/or 8 years old is the age/height they're allowed to sit in a regular seat.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011