Can babies under the age of 1 have fish?

Mena929

Asked by Mena929 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not recommended because it is a high risk allergy. If there is family history they recommend not giving it until 2 or older.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• this is totally irrelevant but I am a long time vegetarian (and a blonde apparently) it's so funny I had to share. When I first read this post I thought for a second... as a pet? Hmm that's highly unusual, how would a two year old care for a fish... wait...

HAHA, hope you get a laugh. I think that you can probably give him fish but if it's one of the fish that has a mercury risk the be careful as little bodies are more sensitive to smaller amounts of the toxin. Your pediatrician should be a good source of info on the nutrition topic.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 3:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Ashley- I am not a vegetarian anymore but I haev to say it was my first thought as well. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Lol, a fish isn't a pet.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• After 9 months it's ok in small amounts as long as there is no allergy and follow the same rules as a pregnant woman to avoid the high mercury levels. And a portion of fish for a toddler is only 1-2 tablespoons.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011