Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If a person was supposed to pay child support in the US and then fled to another country...would that prevent him/her from getting admitted entrance/citizenship to other countries in the future?

Like, let's say a person was living in the US and was supposed to pay child support on a child but was either deported or fled to another country and the child support was not lifted and continued to accrue....then they would end up with a warrant here in the US...would other countries be aware of that warrant? Like if the person went back to somewhere in central or south america and then at a later date wanted to move to Canada or Europe would that affect whether or not they were admitted into that new country? Would they be arrested if discovered? I'm just just curious.

Oh, and what if a person had a bunch of loans to pay off and then just moved to another would that work as well?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • No. There are not cross-border deals like that, partly because lots of people who leave the country do continue to pay their child support --and unlike children who are difficult to cross borders with, when there are custody or maintenance orders, adults can come and go pretty much as they please.

    If they have criminal charges for being a dead-beat, that is an impediment to immigration into some countries --but not all. But unless the crime is considered a crime in the country they're heading into, they don't usually care. A warrant alone isn't considered important enough to bar immigration... it needs to be convictions. And, first they'd have to find out. There is no central clearinghouse for warrants.

    In fact, if the order is considered to be outrageous or abusive, the immigrant could apply for refugee status based on persecution if s/he returned to the country it originated in.

    Answer by LindaClement at 4:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • I don't think other countries will know about child support and debt from the USA.


    Answer by louise2 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

  • YES, actually it could. In some states when the arrears owed reach a certain amount a felony warrant can be issued, in addition to this, the state can notify the FBI and flag their passport, making it ineligible for renewal. A person would not be able to enter another country if this occurred.

    Answer by CocoaQT at 4:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011