Vaccinate my son?

I want to selectively vaccinate, due to research I have done in the past month. But, I have heard this is illegal!? Is that true and how do I get around these laws without a religous reason. My son we'll be 6 months old July 15th.

ChasesMommy0115

Asked by ChasesMommy0115 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each state has different guidelines. First of all, there is NO state where it is illegal to selectively vaccinate or not vaccinate at all. However, there are some states that to not vaccinate you would have to have a medical reason.

Here is the information for your state:
    http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/virginia.htm

Basically speaking you could always say that you have religious reasons that you are against the vaccination and sign the forms. It would be lying and I personally don't condone lying, but it is very common for parents to do this as you don't have to prove it's against your religion...merely state that it is.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I would vaccinate. There has been a breakout of measles due to people who don't vaccinate their kids. This disease is serious and can kill the child. I know u probably have ur doubts but it is really for the best. Ur child can't go to school really without being properly vaccinated.
    mamma_bugs

Answer by mamma_bugs at 10:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My daughter just turned 6 months old and I had her vaccinated at her 2 and 4 month old appoinments. Tomorrow we go to our 6 month appointment and I will NOT vaccinate. I am doing research as much as possible, but until I have all the facts her vaccinations will be put on hold. I am not against vaccinating (some things I am against like HepB - even my friend's doctor agrees it's not neccessary). I am just going to wait till she is older and her immune system is more mature. There is no way that any doctor can force you to vaccinate ( law or no law ) . You may need an exemption letter if and when you want to enroll them in school. Maybe go to your local health center and ask there.
    christine972

Answer by christine972 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I share your concerns. I had my two year old son vaccinated on schedule and he is fine. I have a 8 month old daughter and I am really thinking about holding off on the MMR vacine at 1 yr. When I talked to our pedi. he said if we wanted to wait until she is closer to school age that it would be fine.
    jcast

Answer by jcast at 11:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY SELECTIVELY...BUT I GIVE MY CHILDREN ALL REQUIRED SHOTS....I NEVER GIVE THEM THE FLU SHOT HOWEVER... I FEEL THAT THE SHOTS ARE THERE FOR A REASON...EXCEPT FLU SHOT IT IS NEW AND HAS CAUSED COMPLICATIONS..ITS YOUR KIDS DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO....BE AWARE OF CONCEQUENCES THOUGH..
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• There is a book by DR Sears with a schedual for delayed and selective vaccinations. I don't inject my kids with a ton of poision either. Last I checked they don't die from chicken pox....but the vax has to be upped every 10 yrs...forget in their 20's and they could catch a case that could hurt them.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Maybe find a Dr. with the same beliefs as you. That would be best in the ling run, because you are going to run into trouble when you go to enroll for school. Then your Dr. would be able to help you out.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 12:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Why have you chosen to selectively vaccinate and which ones are you looking to not vaccinate against? Have you looked on the CDC website for immunization requirements for infants? Im sorry if I may not be of any help. I chose to have my daughter vaccinated because the diseases that we are vaccinated from can be deadly. I do not get the flu shot because it doesnt prevent my daughter from all flu, just the major one of the year. So its pretty much pointless.
    mommy4life15

Answer by mommy4life15 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I know there are more and more choices now that Autism and other problems have been linked to vaccines. I know they are now offering a lot of mercury free options for some vaccines, so you if this is part of the reason you are thinking about not vaccinating, you could talk to your doctor and see what options are available for each vaccine. Good luck! I know its becoming a really popular choice.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I heard the one to worry about is the MMR (I think that is what it is called) that is given at 18 months. I have a 2 month old and have selected not to give her all vaccines at once. She got one shot today, her next will be in 2 weeks, and the 3rd and final for the 2 month shots will be 2 weeks later. They definitely need their vaccinations, but what I am doing is an option for you.
    TiffanyNTrista

Answer by TiffanyNTrista at 8:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2008