What is your understanding of "salvation"?

What exactly does it mean to you? What do you expect? And most of all (I'm curious) ... salvation from WHAT? Earthly boundaries? I don't understand. The only time is here and now. And if you can't enjoy and make the most of it, what makes you think there will be a better place later on? Nevertheless everyone creates their own reality. Ummmmm, lots to think about.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be honest, I don't really like the term salvation, as I don't believe there's anything to be saved from and I do believe that God's unconditional love and grace is an automatic thing, not something He has to make up excuses to give us. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• salvation in a xtian term for 'being saved from eternal damnation'..whatever your idea of that may be. (i know what mine is.) salvation is being saved from 'sin'..one goes about that by asking God for forgiveness of said sin, and believing in his/her heart that jesus died, rose, ascended into Heaven..paraphrased.
    its simple. nothing earned, or worked for.
    and you are right-the only time is here and now. this is your only life, your only chance to be all you can be. xtians simply choose to live for God, and accept His offer of forgiveness and eternal life. 'this is your mission, if you choose to accept it.' LOL....ahhh.
    but you've heard all that before, i wager.
    for me, its not so much that i long for a better place..i'm quite enjoying life currently. things are pretty great! but given i believe in what lies beyond the grave, i choose to be in a 'better place' than to be in a yucky place. (whatever that may be.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't believe that everyone makes their own reality and that there is only now. I believe that God is timeless and that there is only one true reality.
    So, with that in mind, I think that we are saved from a separation from God caused by our own sin and the sin of mankind. Hell is the ultimate and complete separation from our Father and Creator in Heaven. God loves us and does not want to be separated from his children, I believe he will give every child a chance to be with him, not matter what they have done (or not done) even at their judgment they will be given a chance to believe.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• "You can have this world. I want better. :) "

Your world is what you make of it. I'll take my world any day of the week over death. My world is what I make it to be...thats the beauty of understanding the power of our own inner divinity!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• To not be bound by sin and selfish human desires...thus free from their bonds and to have fellowship with God and Christ. To be renewed, and restored after having been a wreck.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• To be human is not to be "selfish". I wish people would realize the beauty it is to be human.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Salvation means saved from something... in this case saved from the devil. You are then brought into the Kingdom of Light ( God) out of the Kingdom of darkness( Satan). It means you are no longer living in a bondage of Sin and brought into a place of freedom from Sin. It means that when Jesus died on the Cross He took all sin and sicknesses and absorbed it into Himself. He did what no man from the seed of Adam can do. God knew we could never atone for sin so He sent His Son to do it for us. In so doing we now as Christians have the JOY of salvation and can live a JOYfUL life in Christ . John Crowder wrote Mystic Union which talks about the scandal of the Cross .... it will explain what Jesus did for us in detail.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If there were 'only here and now' why then are there so many things mentioned/stated in Bible that was wrote long ago but came true and still happening in this day/time? check out the book of Revelations.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 7:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I totally agree, sahmamax2!
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• salvation from WHAT?

This is about my future and God promises to keep /us/ safe and provide a justice for what is happening on earth now. No man is capable of providing the perfect future, free from disease, no harm to my children, etc. I like THAT promise!!! I believe. I trust God. I believe He is righteous and plenty capable and HAS that future set up with Jesus. You can have this world. I want better. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011