What is a normal weight for my five year old son?

My son is five years old...well about five and a half almost. We went to the dr this morning for headaches. But my concern is that he is a stocky build. He looks much older than his age. But he weighs about 65 lbs. I know this is rather high. Is this a concern? He's really not fat or chunky but just solid. He towers over most of the children his age and some that are older. He doesn't over eat. In fact I find it very difficult to get him to eat a lot of the time because he is so incredibly picky. Any thoughts???

raegan1221

Asked by raegan1221 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what is his pediatrician saying about his weight? as long as he's growing up and out at a proportionate rate, he should be fine. but again, if his doctor's not worried, you shouldn't be either.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If he is tall then he is going to weigh more than average. As long as his percentiles are not out of whack then he is fine. Plus if there was a concern surely his doctor would have brought it up... I would hope so anyway!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• at 5 you should be more worried about BMI than a weight.

My son is 6 and 49.5 pounds my daughter is 4 1/2 and is 44 (possibly now 45) pounds. they both have BMI's in the 16 range which is ideal for their ages and heights
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank you to both of you! Well, no his doctor has actually never brought it up. He is in the 99.99 percentile for his weight lol. But nobody has ever raised concerns. He is my first and only child, and I am somewhat young so sometimes I am kind of clueless. But I feel he's very healthy. :)
    raegan1221

Comment by raegan1221 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If his 'incredibly picky' results in him eating a lot of refined foods (white pasta, white rice, white bread) or a lot of sweetened foods (sweetened peanut butter, pop, candy, canned pasta, jam, prepared Chinese food, barbeque sauce, ketchup --which a friend calls Tomato Pop) I wouldn't be nearly as worried about his weight as I would his blood sugars.

This 'stocky, hard' body --especially in young children who should still be soft and squishy, not 'dense' or 'hard'-- is an early symptom of type 2 diabetes. He needs a more active lifestyle, led by his parents who take him out of the house every single day to do something active (kicking a soccer ball around, playing catch, playing in the snow, walking to the store, playing in the playground, racing to the end of the road, sledding --ANYTHING).

And he needs parents who make sure that 100% of the food he has available to be 'picky' about is real, whole food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• im having the opposite problem, my 4 year old is 41 inches tall, but only 32 pounds. her weight is in the 3rd percentile with height in the 75th percentile. so because her proportions are way off, the doctor is concerned and she definitely brought it up to me. it sounds like you just have a very healthy, big boy on your hands! :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son is the same way (hes almost 3 though) hes always been super heavy but hes not fat at all. He is tall though. You have to take that in to content as well. My son is 39lbs and turns 3 in a few months. I wouldnt be concerned.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm not sure what's average for that age, but it also depends on how tall he is. My son is five and a half, around 44 inches tall, and 43 pounds.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank You, Linda. That's very helpful info. But really by picky...I mean his favorite snack is pickled okra...and he hates peanut butter..not a big chocolate eater or candy really. He does love hamburgers, things like that. And as far as sodas go, it's only sprite or clear sodas. He's actually incredibly active. I am a single Mom, but we're constantly at my bf's mom's house because she has horses. And he plays outside all the time. He is in daycare right now (kindergarten in the fall) so he's very active there. And actually we're constantly on the go so thats no problem at all.

And tnm786, hang in there with yours. My sister has a similar problem with her daughter. I don't think she's ever hit the 15 percentile ever. She's tiny. But healthy as ever! And one of the most incredible little two years old I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.:)

raegan1221

Comment by raegan1221 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank you, Kiansmom..you make me feel SO MUCH better. Sounds like we both have healthy boys!!!!
    raegan1221