Nap and bedtime struggles

Lately my 2yr old (28mo) will get up and play when I put him down for a nap or bedtime. I know he needs naps still but for the life of me I can't get him to go to sleep! He has a big boy bed (twin size) and has since November. I've tried taking toys away, yelling, putting him back in bed, even staying in his room and making sure he doesn't get out of bed. Even if he doesn't get out of bed, he won't fall asleep. Bedtime is at 8pm and most of the time he won't fall asleep until 10-11. That, to me, is unacceptable but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 4:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has not taken naps since he was 6 months old. His doctor said it's actually normal for some kids to not need a lot of sleep. He just happens to be one of them.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• he may have thrown naptime out of the window. however, i feel it's important for everyone (infant, children, teens, adults, everyone) to have quiet time. for a 2 year old he could use atleast one hour of quiet time, where he's sent to his room the usual time he would take a nap. he doesn't have to sleep, or even stay in bed, but if he's going to get out of bed then he needs to stay in his room and play quietly. no tv or anything like that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree with establishing a rest time to replace nap time- if he falls asleep so be it, otherwise he can read or play quietly on his own in his room. If he is missing nap time and still not falling asleep at 8pm then he must not be so tired from missing his nap. It's more crazy to me that he isn't falling asleep at night either. Is he healthy and happy otherwise? Does he have a set nightime routine so he has time to wind down and get his body relaxed for sleep? If he is a tv watcher it can be helpful, too, to make sure they don't watch tv too close to bedtime as it can wind up the brain rather than calm them down. Good luck, I wish I had better suggestions for you.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Sounds to me like he's just done with naps. I eliminated them about the same age when I started having trouble getting our son down at night. I found that an occaisional nap (a couple of times a week), helped the adjustment without messing up bedtime.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011