What to do for a 9 yr old who isn't sleeping?

It's not that she's making a fuss at all or getting up at anything but she's just not sleeping. She lies in bed and tries to sleep but it just won't work for her and she's getting so cranky and upset, she's getting only a few broken hours a night. She does plenty of exercise during the day, hours of it, and she eats well and not a lot of sugar. I've tried everything, even the things I tried when she was little. Warm milk etc.

Do you have any ideas? It's been a while now and I'm getting really worried and just feeling for her really. I'm not sure if it's genetic since I've never been able to sleep that much but I normally feel fine on it, no upset and cranky, and at her age I was just a bit of a jumping bean. She's got a bedtime routine, we've tried relaxed warm baths. Ideas? Is the doctors a good idea? I'm not sure I want pills involved.

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 4:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Try over the counter natural meletonin. I don't like the natural route and went to the doctor for my 6yo that doesn't sleep. They gave her some clonidine and it has worked wonders.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Take her to her doctor. She could have some kind of disorder. Something else is if she's having issues at school you might take her into a therapist.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Try this if you have not yet.. 2,3 hours before bed. No bouncing all over the house. Make her start to sit down and do nothing. Watch tv or read. Then bath brush teeth and go to bed. Does she have ADHD? I heard kids with that have a hard time relaxing.

Answer by louise2 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• try to get him to talk about his day play a games with him and have him read to you at bdtime this worked with my son
    alberta878

Answer by alberta878 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• A bath right before bed is soothing. Benedyrl helps as well as melatonin. Melatonin is already made in our bodies and gives us that sleepy feeling. I would make a call with the doctor to see if it is right for your child. Or even ask a pharmacist
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would discuss something this serious with her doctor intead of home remedies. It isn't normal for anyone not to sleep....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lavender oil. or the Johnson and Johnson lavender nighttime wash.. I know when I used lavender I yawn my head off..LOL good luck
    musicloverDebs

Answer by musicloverDebs at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would talk to her doctor and see what they suggest before doing anything more. I know for me I drink a warm cup of sleepytime tea before bed, turn off the TV an hour before and read or just relax before going to bed....that is what works for me
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011