Is anyone knowledgable about unemployment compensation?

I live in Michigan, and I have been offered a part-time job that would really be a help with a little extra income. However, there are plausible rumors that my (full-time, primary job) company is going to be going out of business soon. If my company closes and I am working an additional part-time job, will that render me ineligible for unemployment benefits?

kasaloso

Asked by kasaloso at 4:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, it could. Call the Unemployment agency in Michigan and ask, that is the only accurate way to know because while Unemployment is a federal program, it is run differently in each state.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Not ineligable, but the amount of unemployment you recieve will be reduced. They allow you to make so much extra yet not reduce the unemployment, maybe $100 a week or so, (they will tell you) and every thing you make after that will reduce your unemployement by the same amount. HOWEVER, this will mean that you will be eligable to recieve unemployment for a longer period of time. They decide on your benifits and the initial time you qualify for, then that $ amount is waiting for you if you don't use it up in the initial time frame, KWIM? So six months worth of unemployement could last you 1 year if you work at the same time.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Technically you can get unemployment if your hours are but by a certaint percentage. I would go into your local work force and see what your state laws are but I don't think it would disqualify you however I don't think you'd get as much. Whether the difference is covered by the new job I don't know.
    GL!!!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• mmmm, yes, sorry it is different in every state. That is how it works in PA.
    Candi1024

• sorry I meant CUT not BUT! lol
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• NO..If you work part time you can still get unemployment
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011