I posted something eariler, but ...ok , my husband got into a wreck before we got married, and now he wants to leave because he got someone pregnant and he had a affair with her, i can sue her right? and his settlement can i get some of that?

cjbaby123

Asked by cjbaby123 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• No you cannot sue the woman and I doubt you can get any settlement from the wreck before you were married. You have no grounds to sue the other woman on. She might not have even known about you.
    Anonymous

• Why would you sue her?? You can divorce him and go for spousal and child support....

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't know about sueing her..........alienation of affection, maybe? But if you are still married any settlement he receives is marital assets, I believe, to which you might be entitled half. You really should ask a lawyer though. If you can not afford a lawyer Google your state and the words "bar association". Search the state site for pro bono (free) legal advice.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Why would you sue her? Your husband is at fault.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You can only sue her if your state has "allienation of affection" laws in place.. Very few states, less than 10 I believe, have such laws on the books. In regards to his settlement.

If you divorce, and you live in a community property state, you could be entitled to part of his settlement.  If you are not in a community property state, which there is less than 12 of those, it would be up to a judge if you received any of the settlement or not.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• While I think it's completely stupid to do such a thing- there are some states that will allow you to sue someone for "theft of affection".

Just saying.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• http://infidelityadvice.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-sue-other-woman-4-things-you.html

I think your life will be happier, though, if you let those two be miserable together and you move on to bigger and better!
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 5:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You can only sue her if your state has "alienation of affection" laws in place..
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011