How can I get my 9month old to drink from a sippy cup?

I have bought just about every brand out there. ( Nuby, playtex, gerber) and he just chews on the sprout...how do I get him to actually drink? Wanting to be able to wean him from the bottle at a year.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 5:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him play with the cup with a drink in it so he can manipulate it with his hands and learn what it is about. It took the child I take care of about 6 weeks to get the "hang" of the sippy cup (and that was at 11 months). Be patient......it takes time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My daughter. 15 months is just now getting use to it.. Put a little juice in it, but pick one sippy to learn from..it takes awhile for some babies
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Since he is used to drinking from a bottle you really have to teach him how to hold the sippy cup. When I first gave my toddlers their first sippy cup much of the liquid ended up out of the cup. You have to physically show them how to hold the cup so they can drink from it. At first they may become frustrated but you need to encourage them to keep trying it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i started offering the sippy cup to my youngest around 9 months, it took about a month for her to get it down. she would play with it instead of actually drink from it. now she's 11 months and fully off bottles and completely on the sippy! just hang in there and be patient, and keep offering :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You hold it for him or her or put a little sugar on drinking spout.
    3Lovey3

Answer by 3Lovey3 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my ds is 9 months also and we are just introducing the sippy. he likes the nuby ones the best, with the soft top (like a bottle nipple)
    i'll help him take sips while he's eating solid foods, then i'll let him do it himself for a few minutes after his food is gone. he is slowly starting to get that he has to tip the cup up to get something out of it, but he mainly chews on it. just let him do it and he'll learn, be patient but he'll get it soon enough!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011