Does anyone know abut the Unity Church?

I know that Unity believes all paths are valid, and they talk about God being all good, being love, etc. So, what I can't wrap my mind around is...why do they revere Jesus if they don't believe he was God incarnate? Why do they teach from the Bible if they believe it's just allegory?

kasaloso

Asked by kasaloso at 5:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• There are several religions who have some kind of reverence for Jesus and follow many of his teachings. Some think he was divine in one form or another and some do not. Some think he was divine, but only one of many incarnations of God. Some think he was fully human, but was enlightened...a Buddha or a Gnostic. Jesus taught about love and compassion, and these are things I follow even though I am no longer Christian. I respect and follow many of Jesus' teachings, just as I follow many teachings of the Buddha. The Bible has plenty to say on love, compassion, and good deeds, even if some of us don't accept all of it as true. I think I can get more out of Jesus' teachings and following his instruction to 'love God' and 'love our neighbors and enemies' than simply believing he was divine, but that's just me. I respect that other people come to different conclusions when they read the Bible or read about Jesus in general.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My sister was married by a minister in the Unity Church. While I was there, I picked up a pamphlet advertising a conference that this minister was going to speak at. One of the discussions scheduled was titled: "There Is No Sin".

tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm not that familiar with Unity Church, so I was hoping someone else would have more specific answers for you about what they believe. It sounds like they are often confused with Unitarian Universalists, and while both UUA and Unity Church accept people of all faiths, it sounds like Unity Church is usually more specific about their beliefs in Jesus while UUA members are more likely to come from a lot of different religious backgrounds. It seems that they DO believe Jesus is divine, but think that EVERYONE has the potential to be divine. They believe that Jesus taught universal Truth and showed the Way. When they use the word Christ, they mean the divinity in all people. Hopefully someone else will see this, and be able to explain it more. Hope this helped some. This actually made me curious to learn more about them. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• All I know about our Unity Church is that it's the only church Wiccans call home, and every Wednesday night is reserved for the gays.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• "why do they revere Jesus if they don't believe he was God incarnate? Why do they teach from the Bible if they believe it's just allegory?"

There are many of us Christians who feel and believe this way. Even if Jesus wasn't God incarnate what he taught and showed us is still something worth taking from and emulating. And the concept of the atonement (although something I personally reject) isn't something that's contingent upon his being God incarnate. The same for the Bible, just because we may not all believe its literal doesn't mean we don't believe it holds some kind of truth or meaning. Are we expected to just toss it all out merely because we reject some of the ideas about these things? Especially when considering the idea of the Bible as literal is something that is a relatively recent way of thought (last century or so), it seems kind of foolish to do so when there is so much we do connect with.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Which churches say that Jesus is God? I don't agree with that. None of the churches I attend say that. Jesus is said to be the SON of God.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The unity church a friend attends welcomes anyone who wants to come... and discusses theology of all kinds openly without any 'oh, that's nice, but the REAL way is...' attitude toward anything.

And they don't reserve any day for gays... or anyone else.

And I know lots of wiccans who have no interest in sitting through any more comparative religion sessions, there or anywhere else.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I grew up in the Unity Church. Jesus is mentioned alot. I never thought of Jesus as incarnate... but a man who knew the lord.

I don't go to church now... My church is in my heart.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 7:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I believe church was not meant to be molded to fit your schedule or sexual preference ,rather to all peoples ,all walks of life.I agree church is in your heart.And why not have a heterosexual parade?????Why aren't the straight folks demanding all the rights too?Why don't we have a straight pride day??I say keep what you do under the covers where it belongs.You are gay? so what,I am straight.So what .Its getting a little crazy these days.So many want their rights to this or that.I say who cares,just live your life the way you feel in your heart .I don't go to church anymore,to me its just a show for money.I have God in my heart and in my soul.He answers my prayers again and again.I was baptized Catholic,confirmed Catholic,then informed i was not baptized because i was only sprinkled,so I got saved in the Church if Christ,and was fully immersed.This seemed to satisfy everyone.Every one but me.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i agree with kerp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2011