My 2 year old is stuck to my hip.

He has always been a mama's boy, but since my husband deployed on the 8th, my son has been even more clingy. He won't let me do anything on my own and follows me everywhere. He used to play on his own, but now he won't do anything without me right there. Even at bedtime, he was great at laying down on his own, now it takes a lot of effort to get him to sleep in his bed. Do you think this has to do with his dad having to leave and how do I get him to get over these feelings??

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Absolutely can be a result of dad being away. Be patient. Do things with him and give him time to adjust. It has only been a few days.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Can you use the bathroom without having to stick one of your feet out the door, so that he can touch it? -My husband had that happen with his 1st dd after her mother left (on her 7th birthday!). Terrified to loose dad, too. It's so sad.

I think all you can do is reassure, reassure and reassure.

Anonymous

• I am sure it has to do with Dad being gone. I think you do your best to reassure him, even though he is little you can still remind him that Daddy is coming back and that you are always there, etc. Try to work on short stints of separation, like "Mommy is going to get the laundry basket, be right back" and say it cheerfully, come back very quickly and reply "Here I am, right back to you honey" or something similar. Even if he gets upset keep your tone cheerful and don't make it into a big deal, you want to be sure you don't reinforce the clinginess by giving extra attention for it. Just act like it isn't a big deal and get back to playing or doing something with him. I am sure in time he will grow more secure, he just has a lot to adjust to with Daddy being gone. Good luck- I hope it gets better soon!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• im sure its cause he misses his daddy an doesnt really understand whats going on but in time he will understand :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 12, 2011