Am I the only mom who has an extremely difficult time choosing baby names?

My son wasn't named until he was half a day old because DH and I couldn't agree on anything before that. After 15 months, I'm still not sure I'm happy with his name! Now we're expecting #2 and I want to be more prepared. But I'm SOOOOO picky and if I even remotely like anything, DH doesn't. Even most names I like, I just think they're sorta ok, but don't really fit. I think I'm realizing they don't "fit" because I'm trying to name someone I've never seen! Argh!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 6:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Baby Names

• TRUST ME... You are definitely not the only one who has a difficult time choosing Baby Names!!! I have been trying to pick a name since I was less than 2 months pregnant and I only recently came up with a name AND I am still not 100% sure that the name I have chosen is what I want to call my son (and I am due in just 5 weeks). Also, it doesn't help that my baby's father and I can't agree on any names; name arguments have got to the point where I was in tears because I just want to agree on a name. I couldn't help feeling depressed and kind of stupid for being so worked up over what to name my Son; until my friend told me his Baby's Mother and him did not come up with his daughters name until she was 4 days old.
    TinyTiff23

Answer by TinyTiff23 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm EXACTLY like you. Some people seem to have had a multitude of names they absolute were certain on! I had none, I'm still not sure about my eldest son's and he's 7 now!! It takes me literally weeks to name children!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Lol. I didn't know what my daughters name was going to be until I was filling out the form for her birth certificate. I can TOTALLY relate!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I def understand! But I knew dds name when I was about 4mths along. I saw a name on a show that I loved and when she was born she looked exatly like the name! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• im preg with #2 now and im haveing a girl. im haveing a really hard time picking out a name for her. dh isn't any help either!! lol
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• That's lucky, Steph! I had a dream in which I heard a baby name I had NEVER heard before, and I really liked it. I don't think the dream itself was significant, but I can't get the name out of my head! Of course, DH doesn't like it. Bleh.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We had no problem picking first names... middle names were another story!!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My friend just had her baby recently, and she and her DH did not have a name for her for over a day. The nurse finally told her that they could not go home until they named the baby! So, you are not the only one out there. Good luck!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I haven't experienced any trouble. I had my first daughter's name picked out before I even met someone to have kids with, since I was in high school. We aren't pregnant again or TTC at the moment, but we already have our second child's name picked out, depending on the gender. We did have issues with finding a boy name when I was pregnant with my daughter. Every name he liked I hated and every name I liked he hated. So we didn't come upon a boy name we both liked until I was about 7 months pregnant. Thankfully the doctor was right and my daughter really was a girl because I now HATE the name we chose if she ended up being a boy.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I never had any trouble picking out names, although we didn't know what our daughters name was going to be until she was born because we didn't know if she was a boy or a girl.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2011