should my baby be eating more eating more

how do i get my four month old to eat more? i took her to the dr and he said she should be eating twice as much as she is now we started her on cereal and she loves it but he said she needs to eat more formula because that is her main food source but if she doesnt want it what do i do? she weighs 12 1/2 lbs and is overall healthy but he kept pushing about her eating more she is petite like me but i still wonder if im not giving her enough. she eats about 4 to 5 bottles a day and they vary from as little as3 1/2 oz to 6 oz is this enough?

lillymom828

Asked by lillymom828 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did the doctor tell you how much she should eat? Some babies are not big eaters. My oldest didn't eat much, and now he is 12 he still doesn't eat much, but then again, I don't eat much either. I think you should trust your baby -- when she is full then she is full. Try to give her the cereal at night before she goes to bed for the night, then she will be hungier during the day for her formula. If she were breast feeding you wouldn't have any idea how much she was drinking. Don't get stressed out over the numbers of ounces.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. I took my son to see one, and I got lots of good advice.

If she is healthy, sleeping well, growing well and happy, then I would not worry.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 7:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• What is her total intake daily? If she is getting a minimum of 24oz she is getting enough formula. My dd is also very slow to gain weight, today at her 1 year checkup she was 15lbs10oz. There are a few things you can do to increase calorie intake once a baby starts solids, but not much you can do until then. Bananas and avocados are both high calorie and they are great first foods, just mash them well and thin it out with a little formula until it's the right texture. If you would like more tips, pm me, but like I said there isn't much you can do until she's eating solids.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If you want her to take more formula, you need to stop, or at least decrease the amount of solids she's getting.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011