Children burns? Ever been to the surgeon

My son burned his elbow after running into my hot burrito :( So I took him to the doc and she wants him to see a surgeon because it the wound does not heal properly it can affect his mobility....any mom had to take and deal with their kid and a burn???? :(

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 7:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• really???
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• really what?
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son got burned on his foot when he was about 2; I didn't take him to the doctor, I just put some cream on it. It took a very long time to heal and when his pediatrician did see it she said that I most definitely should have taken him in for it. He still has the scar :(
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 7:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• That must have been one hot burrito! My daughter dropped a tub of bubbling hot microwaved frosting on her foot and got burned pretty bad, but no surgery, just silvadine cream and then Neopsporin (not sure if I spelled those right). It burned the top of her foot and toes and between her toes. Good luck! I hope you son heals up quickly!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son fell in a smouldering fire in a neighboring campsite one morning. (long story) It burnt his head, and his right shoulder all the way down to his forearm. They said the same thing to me. She said if the scar tissue grows to thick it affects mobility. I used Johnson and Johnsons hurt free wash to keep it clean, topped them with bacitracin ointment regularly, lidocane spray in between. This was directed by the doctor. It healed up really well, and fast. No surgery needed!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Oh, and we did take her to the Dr., who put silvadine cream on it and wrapped it in gauze and instructed us to keep in wrapped and clean and to use Neosporin.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• thanks. yeah I have the silver stuff. The burn cream. I think the surgeon will remove the debirs. Hopefully I can get some more bandages. I have to wash and dress it twice a day :(Yeha it was really hot cause right before he did that I was like wow this is hot. It was one of the microwave burriots.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It sounds like maybe some of it got on his skin? Rather then just him just touching it? Then it would burn more. Like the difference when you touch a hot pot versus get hot cereal on your skin.
    And if the burn went deep enough, and didn't heal correctly, then it could affect mobility, being on his elbow. But, I don't see why you would see a surgeon so soon. That seems to be jumping the gun a little.
    I sure hope he doesn't need to see the surgeon, I hope he heals up soon! I know it's very painful. Poor kiddo!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think the doctor is just a surgeon to make sure we wont need to see her again. The surgeon can give me more on what to look for. The peditrican was like she is doing "just in case" you knw..better safe than sorry. I really dont mind cause I want him to be well. Just hurts/sucks for me cause after washing his arms I put him in the saucer so I could clean up the mess. He was crying but I thought it was more from shock not that it actually burned him. That is where my guilt is from. Like why didn't I choose to clean up rather than hold him longer than I did? I did hold him but was like since I rinse his arms off let me get this mess off the bed and clothes.

Doc said once he touched the burritoo there is nothing else I coulda done to stop his arm from looking the way it did. You know once the burn starts it starts. So...his little crys I ignore. I hope he forgive me.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son burned his hand on an iron and took him in. He went through lots of treatment and then he had skin grafts from his inner groin to the inside of his right hand and fingers. He was in physcial therapy for a while after that. He was 16 months when it happened and 28 months by the time it was all done with and fully healed. He has full motion and is even ambidextrious.

I suggest at the least get your pediatrician's opinion on it. If you don't get an answer you are comfortable with, then set an appointment up on your own. I went through our Children's Hospital, which is one of the best in the country.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 8:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011