Borrow? Sure no problem...When can I have it back??

I can be neighborly at times and of course if my neighbor knocks on my door asking for something that I don't mind sharing then cool.

Dh however is not as nice sometimes.

Our neighbors knocked on the door asking to "borrow" butter(they do this several times a week). Sometimes its sugar, paper towels, toilet paper, salt, lemon, etc...

Dh was home this time so he answered the door and they ask for butter and he says, "Yeah no problem." He grabs some butter and hands it to our neighbor and she goes back to her place. 5 minutes later dh gets up and knocks on their door and then says, "So...Can I have my butter back? You asked to borrow it...not HAVE it."

LooooooooooooooooooooooooL
He was being an ass, but he made sure our neighbor knew he was only kidding with her.

But really....why do people ask to "borrow" something like butter? You can't borrow that, your gonna use it and thats that. LoL

I guess when we're younger we learn to just ask that particular way I guess.

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 7:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

• bouncingLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

khf22

Answer by khf22 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• That is funny! But really, sounds like they are borrowing wayy too many things....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• laughing

jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• saying it like that is a nice way to ask for it. when it's something like that, i say "can you spare me some...?" or "do you have extra...?" the only thing i can remember borrowing from a neighbor is dishwasher soap sometime ago.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Well, back in the day, when many people did not have transportation for a quick run to the store, it was very common to borrow something like butter or sugar from a neighbor. However, as soon as they went to the store, they always took some back, and usually more than they borrowed. Or, whatever they were making, like a cake, they would take some over to give the neighbor, and if they didn't share the finished result, or If they didn't return the borrowed item, then the next time they came to borro, they would be told, sorry, I 'm getting ready to bake and only have enough for what I need. They would get the idea. I don't blame your husband for what he did, because she wasn't borrowing.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011