How much is your time worth to you?

Had to get a book for school today. It's not the kind that you'll ever use again when school is over - there will be far more advanced and specialized ones for that later. It's $107 to rent it for the semester or $230 new (they have no used ones available). If you buy new and sell back at the end of the semester, if it's in perfect, like new condition, the most you will get back is $115. If it's in less than perfect condition, the buy back drops from there. There's also no guarantee they will buy it at all. There are two lines at the bookstore - the rental line has about a 15-20 minute wait time. The buy line has about a 10 minute wait time. While waiting in line, I watched 3 other people from my class spend a few minutes in the rent line, give up, and move to the buy line (which altogether saved them MAYBE 5 minutes total after accounting for their first attempt at renting). They just paid $123 to get through a line 5 minutes faster.

Which line would you have used?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Uh the rent line.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 8:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would have rented.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I buy my books
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I always rent my books from Chegg.com, but if I was in your situation, I would have stayed in the rent line. If people are willing to pay $123 for 5 minutes then maybe I need to rethink my errand service business and target it to college kids, lol.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would buy it, then sell it on half.com or amazon.com and get most of my money back.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• personally I'd buy it. There's lots of other ways to sell it or trade it for what you might need later on
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Definitely rent line. Wish they had that when I was in school! We often had to BUY NEW, as with new editions coming out annually, there weren't any used books in my major--and those in my major (Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology) kept many of our books as reference materials and for graduate school.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm broke- I'd rent
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I always bought.And if i wanted to sell later i would,but some i elected to keep!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011