What do you do to stimulate your child/children's imagination?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 8:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• When they were little we would do different things, once we hid stuffed animals around the house and played safari. Another time we were repainting the kitchen and the kids and I painted dinosaurs and a volcano on the wall, I would not do this unless you are repainting. When they got a little older I signed them up for theater classes and now my oldest goes to a preforming arts high school.

We also read a lot to them when they were little and we still read to them. My Dh and I use different voices when we are reading.

I think the key is to just have fun!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I encourage him to color and be creative through art. Now that he can actually articulate what he's thinking I love letting him "read" to me by telling me what's going on in a book. But I definitely think my favorite is just watching him play and asking him questions about what his toys are doing or listening to him talk to himself and his toys and I spy around the corner
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i get all the tourism info about our area and we do little trips each Saturday. 2-3 times a week during the summer. we have been to everything from a funeral museum (not as gruesome as you'd think, actually) to pioneer days and kid cooking classes. I try to never do the same thing twice in a year. Thank heavens our city can accomodate that!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 8:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I always encouraged my kids to draw pictures, and asked them to describe the people and things in their drawings, and sometimes had them make up a story that went with the pictures. Some of the stories I later typed up and made into a little bedtime story book with their pictures and stories. They LOVED this, and would ask me to read favorites of THEIR stories over and over. :-D
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2011