Are parties necessary??

Im so sick of political parties. Everyone is human and agrees and disagrees with one another at some point. Dem or Rep doesnt make a you a better or worse person. Why cant most ppl vote on someone because of character and motives instead of the party? Im not saying that thats always the case either. Im rep and have voted dem and know others do the same vise versa. But why even segregate? Why cant we as privelaged Americans learn and respect a persons views and only that? I know its considered Independant but why cant we all be independant? Isnt that what we strive for anyway? Independance?? Ill bet that this country would be a lot better off if we voted more for standards, morals and crudentials insteady of the political party. JMO. What do you think?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The party system actually goes against everything the founding fathers had in mind when they drafted the Constitution. If they'd ever realized this might happen, they would've put something in to prevent it from the start. If you read how they intended it to work - it would involve multiple people from different areas vying for each position through to the end, not appointed members on behalf of parties.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Sorry, I thought it said, "Are Panties Necessary"...

(stepping quietly back out)....

LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Even if you decide that you want to be called the 'party with no name', you are known by that label. It is like Prince. Even when he was just a symbol, we knew who he was. Humans gravitate to those of like mind. That is the way it is. We will name ours with nouns or adjectives. No matter how much we wish it we will still do it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't affiliate myself with any party and it's refreshing not to get my knickers in a knot. I wish we could get past party and work for the common good of the people because in the end, it's the people who have to live with the decisions that 430+ reps and 100 senators make. There's a lot more of us than there are of them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm not political, but I had to stop and answer. I don't understand the whole party thing, I just thought it was a 'big' people way of labeling themselves.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Okay, now legitimately clicking on your question, I like that idea. So, you're saying just do away with the parties and everyone just be independent??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• LMAO m-avi!! Panties?? LOL love it!!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• And yes..everyone be independant
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• agreed Nanixh. Thats just what it seems to be!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Just thought I'd mention - every time I see this question, NOW I see "Are panties necessary"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011