My teenage daughter hates everything girly!!

When she was a child everything HAD to be girly or she'd have a breakdown. Once she hit third grade it began to change. Now she won't wear anything within the same realm as pink, hates jewelry, doing her hair and doesn't wear makeup. She turns 16 this year and while I support her whole heartedly in whatever she chooses for her own personal style, I do want her to at least be more presentable! Getting her to brush her hiar properly alone is driving me bonkers!

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 8:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I might not have a teenager, but when I was a teenager I hated everything girly too. My cousin bought me a lot of girly clothes and told me to wear them or she'd burn all of my tomboy clothes....lol.....I think my problem was I was self concious of my body though.
    mamaziller

Answer by mamaziller at 8:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• There is a big difference between not liking girly things and having poor hygiene habits.

Is she depressed?  I find it odd that a 16 yr old would go as far as to not even brush her hair.... or is it that you dont like her hair style??

Anonymous

• I was not into girly things at all. I wondered the same as anon, is that she doesn't brush her hair or that she doesn't do anything with it? I would wake up and just throw it in a ponytail everyday. I just thought that was all just a waste of my time. My mom made me shave my legs at 13 because I refused too, it just seemed pointless to spend my time doing that. I had other things to do, such as play softball, hang out with friends, etc. If she is still active and not acting depressed I wouldn't worry about anything. The funny thing is now I have a daughter and I bet 5 days out the week she is in pink!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Ditto. My daughter, now 14 was always a tomboy. She would never play with dolls. By 2 years old she was able to do the monkey bars on the playground. She has always been a pain in the butt to get a gift for birthday or chanukah. She hates wearing dresses and it is a fight when she needs to be dressed up for something.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Let her be who she is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011