My daughter is almost 3 years old and still refuses to potty train. What should I do?

StephanyCraney

Asked by StephanyCraney at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Back off and give her more time. If you push, she may be pushing back. Sometimes it just has to be their idea. She'll get it! Hang in there.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Just keep working with her. Don't let on that you are getting frustrated. Buy her some really fancy "big girl panties" and tell her a story about how only potty trained little girls are able to wear these panties. You have to get creative sometimes... but it takes time Mom. She'll get there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree don't push to hard because she might be fighting you. Also, try taking her to buy underwear and letting her pick out her own. Then get stickers and put a calendar in the bathroom. When my kids were little we would let them put a sticker on the calendar every time they went potty. After "X" amount of stickers they got something special like their favorite dinner or we would go out for ice cream.

Also, try putting books in the bath room, it will give her something to look at while she is trying to go. Instead of forcing her to go, just say, "Do you have to go potty," If she says no say "Okay, maybe you can try in a little while." Remind her, but don't force her.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011