Why is divorce so expensive?

mamaziller

Asked by mamaziller at 8:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Because it's worth it! :) LOL (My DH paid $40,000, and said it was the best money he ever spent.)

My divorce cost me about $2,000 - we agreed on everything and used the same attorney.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Because of the number of hours lawyers are involved--especially custody fights, along with court fees, and filing all kinds of paperwork.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Because of the greedy lawyers...lol. I got divorced and it was a pain in the butt
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• To deter you from marrying again! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Id say to scare you away from marrying again. Haha. Or maybe its to scare people from marrying in the first place. Who knows? =D
    StefaniJerkface

Answer by StefaniJerkface at 8:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Just another way of making you pay for your mistake for the marrage in the first place lol...or at least thats what my parents told me haha
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Because divorce is complicated, complex, and it's not easy dividing things you built or invested in as a couple.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The expense is nothing compared to the emotional fallout when there are children involved.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Greed is a great answer. I tried to get my maiden name back after my divorce was final and they wanted $250 if I did the paperwork myself! That's $250 for them to file the paperwork that I would do and the Judge to sign it. That's just nuts. The court fees are high enough then add lawyer fees and it's just crazy. I went to Legal Aid for my divorce. It didn't cost me anything

Answer by admckenzie at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I dont know
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011