progesterone shots??????

So I just found out i am pregnant again with my 5th baby my doctor has been talking about weekly progestrone shots starting at like 20 weeks cause my babies have all been early (first two at 37 week 3rd one at 33 weeks and fourth one at 35 weeks) I was wondering if anyone else has had these Im not sure how i feel about it I don't want to go to early but i also have really big babies and i would hate to go over due cause I don't think i would be able to deliver naturally and i don't have pain meds during delivery but not only that im not one to take medications if not needed. Im confused and don't know what to do. please help if you have been in this situation.

cassiemomof4

Asked by cassiemomof4 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My first baby was born at 32 weeks. When I got pregnant with #2 my dr suggested progesterone shots. I thought "Yay I can have a full term baby." Well, I had my second baby at 32 weeks too. The shots didn't do anything for me. Good luck! I really hope they work for you.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Progestrone won't make you go over due. They will just help prevent you from having a preterm delivery.

Besides having a big baby isn't a reason for a c-section anyways so as long as you are educated about what positions are best for delivering large babies there is NO reason to be concerned.

My whole family has big babies (8,9, 10, 11 and even 12...yes I said 12 pound babies) and most all the babies have been delivered without an epidural. Only 2 women in our family have ever had a c-section. One of the one's who had a c-section had a VBAC the next time.

They say squatting is the "midwife's forceps" because it opens the pelvis so much.
    Anonymous

• with my second child i was told i needed progesterne suppositories. i used them for awhile till the baby was at the stage he needed to be at (forget the specifics- so sorry if it sounds uneducated or vauge-lol).but basically in words i understand...i wasnt producing enough of this on my own(low progesterne) i needed to use these suppositories for a short amount of time, till the baby was safely inside his own surroundings inside of me that safely kept him surrounded & warm, & basically till everything reached a point where he was good...& prevent me from having a miscarriage. i didnt know there were shots. i just did what the dr. said. & im glad i did. before the suppositories- we had 1 trip to the emergency room where i had started bleeding bright red blood.i thought for sure i was having a misscariage. but i was ok. when i got to the hospital, they did an ultrasound, & i heard the heartbeat 4 the 1st time!he is fine now.3yrs
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I used the progesterone suppositories during my first trimester. They were prescribed to prevent early miscarriage - which I had had twice (without the progesterone). I guess it worked...I used it with both my successful pregnancies, have my 2 healthy kids, and went full term with both.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I dunno I would do more research about it, sound risky to me
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• the progestrone shot is to prevent pre term labor so it might be different then the supository that prevents early miscarrage not really sure, but i definatly will do some research before i do it.
    cassiemomof4

Comment by cassiemomof4 (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011