Does your mortgage company harass you for payment BEFORE it's even due??

A mortgage is due on the 1st of the month. You have a 15 day grace period though. NO LATE FEES are assessed until after the 16th of the month. I was a customer of Citi Mortgage for 4 years, and always paid my mortgage by the 15th. We get paid on the 1st and 15th, and that is how it works out. My mortgage was ALWAYS ontime, for I always made it within that grace period.

Well we were sold and have a new Mortgage company now. The same payment rules apply. The bill even says- late fees assessed AFTER the 16th. So I get a call on NOV 10, asking about payment. I explain they will get it before the grace period ends, that's how our budget works, always has. She says she'll make a note of it- TY. Well I get another call the first week of DEC. SAME SITUATION, I explain the same shit. TY- we will make a note of it they say. Today they call my DH at WORK, and he ripped them a new one, explaining that they will have their January payment BEFORE the assessed date, as they have every month prior.

I am so sick of this shit. Are they really going to call us every month?? Citi Mortgage NEVER EVER did this.

Do any of you who pay within the grace period get calls if it is not in by the first???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• No but Bank of America Credit Dept will lol
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I never had that happen but there are laws....you can send them a letter to cease and desist and they will not be able to contact you anymore....may be something to consider.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would file a complaint with the company. If your payment is not late, they have no right to be calling you harassing you about payment. If they're policy allows a grace period without a fee, then they shouldn't be calling you until your payment has not been recieved AFTER the grace period ends. This is totally off the subject but I get phone calls from a collection agency every month asking for a Vanessa Valdez. Well that's not me, so they have the wrong number. I have told them every single month they have the wrong number and they say they will "make a note and take my number off the list." Well I still get called every month and they even leave messages on my voicemail that says "hey this is ASHLEY" Its so annyoing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Select portfolio will call before the grace peoriod is over.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Maybe they are just trying to help. Although no late fees occur until after the 15th, you are still inuring interest, which will extend the length of time it will take you to pay off your loan, since the loan schedule is based on the payments being paid on the due date.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Within their computer system you are habitually delinquent. Whoever is assigned to handle your account gets paid every month based on how many of their customers pay, how many past due customers they have, how many total days past due all the people in their portfolio are at the end of the month. In other words, you are costing their pay to be cut every time you do that. If they wanted to, they would also be within their legal right to report you as delinquent to the credit bureaus every time your payment is not made before the first. That your old bank didn't was a courtesy, not part of your contract. If your due date is the 1st, it doesn't matter if there's a grace period or how long it is. All the grace period is for is not charging you extra.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• ours has never called us before the grace period is over.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No, because we have electronic bill pay for our mortgage attached to our bank account, so it is automatically withdrawn whenever they want it! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If someone is assigned to ME, why has a different person called each time??? I don't give a shit if I am affecting someone's pay. EVERY MORTGAGE company has the grace period. I think my DH scared the crap out of whoever he spoke with today anyway, lol. I hope they finally MAKE NOTE OF IT. :)

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would go insane if they did. Our mortgage is like that, too. It's due the 1st, but we can pay until the 15th without penalty. We are with US Bank. We both are paid biweekly, so some weeks it's paid by the first, sometimes closer to the 15th. But it is ALWAYS paid. If they do this again in February, one of you needs to ask to speak to the highest level supervisor right then, right there.

I have heard so many horror stories from people whose mortgage was sold like this. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this annoyance! I hope ours is never sold.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 10:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011