If you cook venison, what's your favorite dish?

I've already made stroganoff, and sausage. Have some tender, lean, steaks and want something different.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I put it in a crockpot and make shredded bbq
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• we get most of our deer ground up...I make it just like I would would ground beef...in tacos, burgers, etc.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We make breaded venison. Just roll it in flour then fry it up in some butter with some seasoning salt and yummy! Not the healthiest way to go but venison is pretty lean to begin with!!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My mom makes this dish/casserole type thing where she mixes venison pieces, cream of mushroom soup, and a bag of those frozen o'brian hashbrowns together and puts it in the oven for like an hour. Oh, and she sprinkles mozza cheese on top. It's pretty good for such a simple meal.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• IloveCade, that's my favorite! I just don't have enough to share with the entire mob! lol
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• love venison!!
    when married years back, he hunted
    tenderloin for breakfast ....yummy
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Venison stew in the crock pot is really good, or in a heavy cast iron dutch oven covered and cooked in the oven for 4 hours or more, on about 250 degrees.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Chili!! My dad mixes ground venison with ground beef and makes amazing chili. If you use just ground venison is comes out too dry. You can use ground pork too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We had deer dogs, deer burger, sausage , we have an Amish man that takes it & mixes it with pork and it's so good you don't even know it's deer meat, and not a bit fatty. I can't think of all th things off hand but he makes a few diffferent things and packages them up for us to freeze. I actually was sad we ran out last yr and my S/O didn't go hunting and get any more, he needs to get out there and get some more.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I usually do all roasts, and cook them in the crock pot. Once done I sometimes make into other things, use in place of hamburger in soups & casseroles, etc. Today I was going to try stew but the meat smelled bad :(. A few years ago while we were camping I cut up a bunch into bite size peices, mixed in a little olive oil, seasonings that I don't remember, and cooked it in my dutch oven over the fire. I added some cut up potatoes & carrots after a while, and when it was done I stirred in some cream of celery. I know there was more to it than that (onions, other seasonings, etc) - but it was stew-like and sooooo good. My MIL cans the meat and THAT is probably my favorite, over mashed potatoes!
    Anonymous