5months old congested all of a sudden

My 5month old son has been acting great all day then all of a sudden this evening he started crying like he is teething(which he is) but then he coughed all of a sudden and he went from breathing just fine to completely congested. There was no warning or build up. It just hit and it sounds horrible. I was wondering if this has happened (so fast and sudden) to other mams out there?
Ive never heard of it happening SO fast. :(

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dont have infants anymore but I bumped you
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• well my youngst is 4 months sounded like that when she was about 2 mons old i called the pedi they told me to bring her in listened to her and swore she didnt have a cold .i kept saying she did but they insited (sp) that she didnt .well anyway you could use a vaporizer in his room put him in the bathroom with you when you take a hot shower and suction his nose if needed .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Try sucking his nose out with the Nose Frida. You can get it on Amazon.com. You may be able to get it at Babies R us. It works way better than those bulbs. Use it with saline spray first to loosen the gunk. They say Vicks is bad for babies now - can actually make them worse, so don't bother with that. Sitting in the bathroom while the shower runs on hot with the door closed might help too.
    Anonymous

• I have never been able to sucksion his nose, nothing ever comes out. I put a little breast milk in it to loosen it up some. He is still asleep this morning so hopefully he is ok and got it out of his system.

WHY is vicks bad for them now? Like the baby kind you put on them or the stuff you put in the air? I havent heard anything about that :(
    Thanks for your help! :)
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Here is a link to why Vick's is bad. Any kind of Vick's. Causes breathing problems.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1384997/vicks_vapo_rub_bad_for_babies_and_young.html

Also, the Nose Frida is not a nose bulb. It the easiest thing in the world to use and you can suck the nose out in seconds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2011