my 4 year old likes to bite the skin off his fingers does anyone ahve any idea why he would that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine does it because she's nervous or bored. She's gotten infections from chewing on her fingers so be careful. We thought it was thumb sucking at first, but she tears her cuticles off and all the Dr's say is she'll grow out of it. -sigh-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Put hot sauce on his fingers, worked with me biting my nails.
    Anonymous

• my son does it like there is no tomorrow i will catch him chewin gon it and tell him to stop he does it to the point were his finger bleeds and then he cries about it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Don't put hot sauce. Would you like hot sauce in your mouth? My parents did that to me. It didn't work. Good luck on finding a way to break the habit..you make a fortune!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 9:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i would never put hot sauce on my kids fingers i hope he stops soon
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Lol good luck w that. My oldest (9) gnaws on his fingers untill I'm sure they must be nubs! I can nag and nag and he won't stop. I think its nerves or boredom.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 9:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I am guilty of this... have been since forever. Don't even really know why I do it anymore, guess just habit. I am a nervous person though.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You can watch and see when he does it and make him wear gloves. It's most likely just a habit, and if he gets used to doing something else, it will prob. stop. I had a child in my class that chewed his fingers until they bleed and they got infected. I had to soak them in Epsom salted warm water and put bacitricine (don't think i spelled that right) and band aids till they healed. He did it most during teaching, and watching our bap show, not while he was playing and eating.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i do this. lol (occasionally only) seems to happen when im fidgety, & nervous- & once i start i bite most of my fingers. sorry if that dosent help. i dont know if your child is doing this for the same reason. its just a habit really. probably he tried it once & discovered he could do it, so then he repeats it now.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011